Chapter Twenty Three | Still My Decision

The next morning, it was like it was all a dream. 

I woke up in my own bed, the house quiet, birds outside my window chirping in the morning sunlight. My groggy eyes focused in on my curtains being half open, and the slight pounding in my head was the only real indication that I'd been at a party last night. 

A party where I'd almost been a part of a brawl. 

Still, the memory of it seemed almost like I'd imagined it up, even when I finally drew enough energy to swing my legs over the side of the bed and stand up, groaning as my back cracked mid stretch. 

Spencer was mad. 

Not mad, no. That would be too simple of an emotion for what my sister had been portraying last night when we'd reached home. 

It was like she'd been angry, yes, at the fact she'd had to pick me up so late from the police station. But a small, tiny glint in her eye almost looked..proud. 

Like she was happy I'd finally had a spontaneous experience that placed me in the police waiting rooms. That wasn't like me. It never had been. I know that she used to worry about how much time I'd spend at home, studying or watching movies or doing things that weren't adventurous or parties like other girls my age.

I pulled on a pair of socks and a sweater, my mind drifting back to the more somber part of the night. The fight.

Samson's eyes, red from what I was sure was drugs, drilling into mine. It was an accident. His words made me shiver, even in the light of the day. He hadn't been talking about the time he burst Marley's basketball, or dropped his phone in a puddle.

He'd been talking about the night of the accident, I was certain.

Unplugging my phone from its charger, I checked for messages before padding downstairs in my pajama shorts. Four messages, two from Cori, reading;

you okay?

you're a bad bitch if you spent the night in the cells

Another from Stella, who seemed a little more panicked about the police escort than Cori. Please tell me ur ok. party went nuts, will catch up tomorrow at the diner, brunch? x

And finally, the one message that nearly made me miss a step on my way down the stairs.

If he hurt you I'll deal with it. Marley. My heart pumping, I checked what time he sent it. 3.03am. What was he doing awake at that time? What did he mean he'll handle it? The thought caused my skin to prickle.

Marley ended up in hospital a lot. Maybe it was finally time someone else did.

"Oh, she's awake!" Spencer's voice came at me from the kitchen, pulling me out of the thoughts that were making my stomach sink in dread.

"What's the time?" I murmured, yawning as I entered the kitchen. Spencer was standing at the stove top with her pajama top but no pants, her red hair glinting in the morning sunlight.

"10.33am. You slept late, must be the new , exciting you." Spencer flashed me a grin. "You criminal."

"Can you just be mad or something? I'm concerned that you're too proud of me for almost spending the night in the cells."

Spencer laughed, shaking her head. "Oh, I'm mad. We might need to talk about the incident further later. But Stella called, said to get your ass to the diner by 11."

I nodded, kind of glad Spencer did actually want to talk about it, because I hadn't really had a decent conversation with her in weeks. 

Not through any fault of her own, though. Her job just took up so many hours in the day that when she wasn't working, she was sleeping, or something else when I was either at school or work. I missed her a little, I suppose.