An Opportunity

"I'm fine. Thanks for asking." Arthur said, voice cold.

The brunette only sighed, and handed Arthur the glass. "Well, have a good show tonight. I heard three of yours are sold out."

"Thanks." Arthur replied dryly, ditching the conversation and taking his drink back to the dressing room. 

      He could feel Antonio's stare behind him, and walked faster. It was show time again, and this time Arthur didn't feel nervous. In fact, he felt dread. Suddenly he didn't feel like dancing at all, or taking off his clothes. He wanted to go home. Maybe he could feign illness and Francis would let him leave. He sighed, and lethargically picked up the phone on the vanity counter. He dialed the number.

"Francis."

"Oh, bonjour Arthur. Do you need something? Your next show is in half an hour so make sure you–"

"I'm sick."

"Sick? You seemed perfectly fine last night, in fact–"

"I'm sick. I don't think I can dance tonight."

"Pourquoi?! Arthur, you're the star! You don't want to disappoint your fans!"

"I don't feel well, I'm going home. Maybe I'll be back tomorrow."

"Oh. This doesn't have anything to do with what we talked about last night, does it?"

"No it doesn't!"

"I see... But, you have to come back tomorrow! And make sure when you come back, you step up your routine. I'm expecting a special guest tomorrow."

"A guest?"

"Oui. They flew all the way from Los Angeles to see your show tomorrow night."

"From Los Angeles? Who could it be?"

"An executive from a large successful company. If all goes well, they might invest in the business and we could become a chain organization! Now rest up and get better. I know you've kind of lost your 'mojo' but cheer up, old friend. You'll want to look and dance your best. We're counting on you!"

"Now wait just a moment, frog-"

     The phone went dead. Arthur sighed. He'd have to really work his ass off the next day. But the sound of his old friend's voice told all. It must be a great business opportunity to join with whatever company was observing them. For the sake of his friend and the club he had worked in for six years, he'd simply have to give it his all... He just hoped this guest wouldn't be some creepy old bloke that would ogle Arthur like a piece of meat. There were already too many of those types in the club every night.