The Deputy

Moonstar watched over her warriors with disgust. It was their fault, and she blamed every one of them. She blamed StarClan for not sending her warriors to take her, she blamed her warriors for not winning StarClan's favor, she blamed Phoenixwing and Ripplefoot especially. The prophecy had failed them.

But she was made of moonstuff, and as such, she must shine bright.

Bright as the moon, framed by clouds.

Clouds carrying more infernal ice.

She flicked from one of them to the next.

Eager.

Waiting.

Willing.

They all believed she would pick them.

How wrong they were.

She, for a long time, knew who she was going to pick. With a wry grin, she turned to her. Red fur flashing.

"I say these words over Clawpelt's body, so that his spirit may hear and approve my choice. Phoenixwing will be the new deputy of DragonClan!"

"PHOENIXWING! PHOENIXWING! PHOENIXWING!" Everyone was cheering for her. She smiled brightly, rising up to receive the honor from Moonstar.

Moonstar was cold as the snow, which still fell in the clearing. Day upon day. The world itself was freezing. Moonstar whispered, "They're your problem now."

She jumped off the branch and walked away.

Phoenixwing looked down at all the cats, and realized that there would be no help. Moonstar had given up on DragonClan.

*<>*<>*<>*<>*

"We managed to bring in a rabbit!" Bluewing said, his spiky fur matted and his teeth chattering as he struggled not to puncture the still-warm body.

"Bring it to the queens." Nightsky sat with Longclaw and Mistfeather. Nightsky's belly was beginning to grow plump, but Sunstrike had insisted she move directly to the nursery so she didn't end up like Shadowstorm.

Couragepaw and Lightningpaw had both felt the loss of their mother keenly. She had been out hunting, which was now a dangerous sport due to the snow. Anyone not hunting was drying bedding or collecting it.

Mistfeather yowled out in pain and Raindrop rushed to meet her. Starpaw padded closely behind, her own belly lean and lank, her eyes still sparkling above the dark circles they wore.

"Agh!" The brittle stick cracked beneath her teeth.

Phoenixwing turned away. She would go see the kits later, but for now, there were more important things to do.

"Sunstrike! Couragepaw! Silverleaf!" She called the warriors by name, and they came to her.

"Yes, Phoenixwing?" Sunstrike said.

"Are we gonna go hunting?" mewed Couragepaw.

"Long time, no see mentor! Congratulations." Silverleaf smiled.

"Yes we are, Couragepaw." Phoenixwing told him. She turned towards the dark forest. Snow whirled around her paws, and a pained expression glazed her face. Her home was dying.

Without a word, fearing her clanmates could tell she was uneasy, she fled into the forest, leaving her patrol to follow behind.