Chapter 4

Zayn fought back his 'Black Pope' knowledge as he allowed Liam to drag him back to the beach house. His tiny act of defiance seemed to energize some of Liam's lost strength, but he was able to reassure himself that he could fix that once Liam was asleep.

______

"I don't see what the big deal is," Zayn stated firmly as they entered their home "You know where I am at all times."

Liam loosened his hold around Zayn's wrist just enough to run a finger across the bracelet. Even he resented the presence of that precious metal and was eager to finally shuck it, but it seemed that Zayn still needed the extra weight to hold him down.

Zayn watched Liam quietly study the bracelet for far too long. "What?"

"I just thought..." then he shook his head and completely abandoned all hope. He returned to his usual slow and dangerous tone. "I saw you talking to Harry. What did you say to him?"

Zayn sighed agitatedly. He tried to tug his wrist free, but Liam was a fixed statue. He knew it was just a test, since Liam could hear all his conversations through the bracelet. "I said I missed him. Liam, I haven't seen or talked to anyone in six months!"

"What else did you say?"

"I told him I didn't want to be rescued."

"You'd run away if there wasn't anything to keep you here."

Zayn gripped the other's man neck in a reassuring hold and stared intently in his eyes. "Exactly. All I need is you, but it's nice to get out once and awhile."

Liam exhaled sharply. That's exactly what he wanted to hear and Zayn no doubt learned that script well over the past six months. Liam realized that somewhere along the way he had lost control of their relationship.

"I am still your avatar and I expect to be obeyed."

Liam jerked Zayn towards the bed as the raven fervently voiced his objections and tried to pry off the solid fingers locked around his wrist. Liam quickly ripped Zayn's jeans down and had him pinned across his knee. He trapped his wrist behind his back and restrained his flailing legs with his right one.

Liam raised his hand high above his shoulder. A mere second later, his calloused palm slapped soundly on the center of Zayn's unprotected backside. "Shit!" Zayn screeched as the ferocious sting spread too quickly before another swat followed. He tried to swear again, but more swats silenced his cries.

"After tonight, you will obey me," Liam hissed between rapid swats. "You will learn to take my warnings seriously. We are destined to be together, with or without the bracelet. One day, you'll see that."

Zayn gasped as the tenth strike scorched his other cheek. The harsh spanking seared his skin, but he was more surprised at Liam's words. Was that really an option? Zayn lived with Liam long enough to read between the lines. Liam had his evil, immortal, warlock ego to protect and usually hid behind words such as destiny, but Zayn had learned to translate his ambiguous language. Would Liam have actually removed his bracelet? Zayn knew Liam resented the bracelet just as much as he did. He wanted Zayn to choose to be with him willingly. Zayn had been using trust as manipulation. He didn't realize that he actually earned it, then he was horribly embarrassed that he wanted to. That was something he never achieved with Harry. It was actually frightening to admit that this was the first relationship that he successfully gained trust from someone.

Zayn instantly understood the mortifying position Liam trapped him in. His body tensed then flinched with every stinging slap, but he couldn't thrust a hand back to shield his backside or kick his legs to ease the pain. He had to feel Liam's displeasure as it ripped through his body. Zayn knew Liam was using all the strength he had to keep him pinned and administer this punishment. Liam was weak, but he managed to summon up enough strength to ensure that Zayn was his. Just as he always would.