Chapter Seven.

Hailee Steinfield as Melody Culkin

Lethal: Ch. 7

I remember when I was a kid and I saw my father looking at Nikolai with all the love in his eyes and thinking, "God, I want someone to look at me like that one day."

Then I met Alessandro Viconatti.

He had came into my life like a whirlwind, protecting me from the start from a bullet that was intended for me. I hadn't expected a kid four years older than me to push me out of the way like he did, but life plays games like that.

I hadn't expected my father to push me to be friends with him like he did. I hadn't expected things to turn out like they did, but it happened. I didn't expect Alessandro to do what he did because he felt like he could. He made me feel so violated, so disgusted with myself yet pleased.

"Eli, you still didn't answer my question." I turned from my computer, fixing my tie as I faced Gabriel, who was sitting at his desk, glaring at me pointedly. "Oh yeah? What was that?" I smirked, already knowing what it was. "You didn't tell what it was that you and Mr. Viconatti were involved in years ago." He folded his arms and pouted. "I want to know."

I chuckled, tilting my head a bit. "See, I would've told you, had you had told me who Ivan was." I shrugged nonchalantly. "If you don't want to tell me, then I don't see why I have to tell you." I clicked my teeth, fighting back laughter at the look of pure disbelief on his face. "Everyone deserves secrets."

I turned back to my computer, glad that conversation was done. I didn't want him to force me to tell him about the past Alessandro and I had, because I was still struggling to come to terms with it. It's the main reason why I'm so conflicted on who I am and who I am with Alessandro. If it wasn't for that fateful night, I wouldn't be so confused on what to do with myself and I wouldn't have a reason to hate Alessandro.

Sorry, Mr. Viconatti.

I didn't trust myself to be sane on a level that we used to be at. Now, it was strictly business professional level. That kiss was nothing, just a figment of the past and a reminder of what I should avoid.

"Ivan Baranov was a person who used to sit outside my house everyday and watch me come and go. He didn't say a word but he just stared at me." Gabriel suddenly spoke and I furrowed my brows. "That's such a beautiful start of a love story. No, really. Nothing screams love like sitting on someone's porch and not speaking. You sure know how to pick em." I ignored his glare and took a sip of my water.

"Then he asked to fuck me one day."

I spat all of my water out onto the desk, thankfully away from my computer. "He fucking what?" I yelled. "Of course, I told him no and that I would call the cops if he didn't get away from house." He continued. "Why didn't you just do that in the first place?" I coughed, thinking I was dying.

"Shut up. Anyway, he told me to go ahead and that the authorities didn't scare shit of him. He sat back down in the chair on my porch and continued to wait. I then called the cops and they came. You know what they did?" Gabriel rolled his eyes and kicked his feet up on the chair. "They ignored me and greeted him like he was some long lost family member or something. I was bewildered."

"Some enigma Ivan Baranov is."

He snorted. "Got that right. Turned out Ivan was a successful businessman and had several companies stationed all over the world. It didn't occur to me until after that I had threatened someone important in society that could kill me." He shrugged like he didn't give a shit. "I still didn't care. I told the cops to remove him from my property but they refused to. They said I should respect him and allow him into my house. In fucking hell, I would!" Gabriel cut his eyes at me.