Chapter Twelve.

The family tree of the Kaylor-Culkin family. Nikolai Culkin, Dominic Kaylor-Culkin, Eli Kaylor and Melody Culkin

Lethal: Ch. 12

I slammed my door shut as I wiped my face free of tears. I could do this, I am strong enough to walk away from it all. I am brace enough to let him go.

With that determination in mind, I set my pace in stride towards the elevator of the building. I ignored the stares of the people working as the chimes went off in the building, signaling my entrance. I walked down the steel tile towards the elevator and pressed the button to go up.

I sniffled a bit as I clenched the papers in my mind, wiping my nose free of snot. My heart was racing and my chest was pounding. I hadn't seen Alessandro for the past week and it took me time to get my thoughts together but this is what I wanted to do.

I had to do it.

When the elevator came to the lobby floor, I stepped on and pressed a button, the 5th floor, and the doors closed. As I was going up, I couldn't help but feel lonely. It felt like the mirrored walls were closing in on me and I couldn't breathe.

I looked around and I saw my reflection staring back at me, red-rimmed eyes and puffy cheeks. I looked miserable, like I was a woman who just got her heart broken and then proceeded to eat a quart of Ben & Jerry's.

Maybe because I am that woman.

The bell dinged and the elevator stopped on the 7th floor. I made my way down the hall to the former room I know and opened the door. "Damn, why are you here so late? Damn, why are you dressed like a million dollar hobo?" Gabe stood up immediately and walked over to me. "Why do you look like you've been crying for days?" He asked softly.

"Because I have."

I cleared my throat and handed him the papers. "Do me a favor and give these to Aless- Mr. Viconatti for me, would you?" I handed him my resignation papers. "What are these?" He asked. "I'm resigning." I stated and he raised a brow. "That wouldn't have to do with why Alessandro came in this morning sporting a bruise on his cheek the size of Alaska?" He chuckled and I furrowed my brow.

"No." I shook my head. "Listen cutie, I don't know the reason why you're leaving, but judging by your appearance and how sad you sound, I'd say he broke your heart and then some." Gabriel said sincerely while grabbing my hand. "Give it time. Your heart will heal." Gabe squeezed my hand. "He doesn't deserve you, Eli. You are the rarest fucking gem in the world." He smiled and at that moment, my phone decided to ring.

"Hello?" I said, realizing that it was Nikolai who called me. "Hey son, I need for you to come to the police station." He demanded. "Why, what happened?" I asked, panic going into overdrive. "Dominic got arrested earlier today." He sounded tired and annoyed. "For what?!" I screeched, thinking of a million things that man could've done. Nikolai sighed before telling me the reason.

"He punched Alessandro in the face."

-

A billion things were running through my mind as I entered Miami P.D. Why did my father punch Alessandro? Does he not realize he can go to jail for that? Is my father the type of man to act first, then question later?

Of course he was.

"Eli." I heard my voice being called and I looked over to the waiting room to see Nikolai standing there in black jeans and a red shirt. "What the hell is going on?" I broke in and he ran a hand through his hair, standing opposite of me. "I woke up this morning around 6:30ish to see Dominic gone. I'm calling him and calling him because I know it's not like him to wake up that early." He began.