Chapter 1

I ran full-speed through the hallway, ignoring the fact that teachers were roaring at me, ignoring the loud clacking sound of the dull grey shoes I was wearing that day. I meant no disrespect but I had no time to look back and apologize. Then, I hopped onto the steps of the staircases anxiously hoping that there would still be seats left for me to choose. Before I opened the door of the first day of my 8t h  Grade class, I nervously fixed my wild black long hair and wiped tiny sweats that were trickling along my neck.

"Hey, Alison!! I missed you so much!"

"Oh, I missed you too!!" Rose and I both hugged tightly after not seeing for a long time during summer break.

"Come on Ali I saved you a seat" beaming, Grace pulled out a chair. "Rose is sitting next to you, me and AK behind you guys".

I put my bag down on the newly furnished wooden desk that the school had just renewed recently. I wonder where Kelly is. Of course she's probably studying in some international school in Yangon. We've been best friends for 8 years already so it was very hard to acknowledge that we were going to have to stay apart. It's so strange that Ms. Ian told us we looked just like twins, that we talk the same and share the same laugh. Although she is a week older than me, we shared the same zodiac sign which makes us even closer than ever! We were both Aquarius so we both share the same bubbly, weird and awkward but fun behavior. Sometimes I felt so lost without her, like I have lost my other half but I tried to keep my head up high since I still had 3 of my other close friends together with me.

The class stopped chatting when a nerdy kid walked in, all of our eyes on him. His eyes darting around the room, looking for a seat. And then he pulled out the chair beside me, sat down on the chair and took out his books. He was not smiling... not even a bit and expressionless. Okay kid, you won't make it by the end of semester if your lip line won't change. Anyway, everyone started talking loudly again, each sharing excitedly about what they did on their summer break.

The bell rang and Ms. Everest walked in, her lips and eyes smiling but very serious. She put her English books down on and placed her hands on the edge of the desk.

"My name is Sandrine Everest and I will be your homeroom and English teacher starting from today to the end of the last term." Ms. Everest was very beautiful. She had a very straight nose, beautiful crystal blue eyes with extremely long eyelashes and very shiny white teeth. She could shoot a toothpaste advertisement and I wasn't kidding. She also had good looking pale skin and a long lean body but her figure was really fit I could even see little muscles on her arm and last of all a very silky brunette bob haircut but it was quite obvious that she changed her hair color for some time ago because the blond roots were already showing.

Since this was our first class together with the new kids, there was no teaching, instead the class introduced and we tried to get to know each other. It was also indeed very awkward. There were four new students altogether; Jennifer, Tiffany, Noel and Nyi Yan. Even though we played some fun games during class, the atmosphere between them was still awkward.

Oh, almost forgot. I still need to introduce my friends, my gang. I'll start with

AK. So her actual name was Angela Khin. Other people might think her last name
was very weird but Khin is just like the words "Lee" or "Kim" in Korean characters except that Khin is Burmese. Our class had uniquely 3 "Angela" so we had no choice but to put the last names to differentiate them; Angela Khin, Angela Hnin and Angela San. Okay, so AK had really pale milky white skin, her skin was so pale that you could almost see through it and you would start to recognize the colorful veins beneath it. And for a 14 year old she was very tall for an average Burmese teenager she could dress up and look prettier but no she dressed really simple, so simple and old-fashioned that people would mistook her for a grandmother! She was always sticking to Tees and skinny jeans and she tied her hair lowly and she really looked like a grandma, no offense AK but that's the truth, but she looks cute to me anyway.

So I am going to admit that Grace was kind of weird, but weird in a cute way. She was a bit awkward around other people and many kids might think she was moody and weird and all and the truth was yes, she looked that way. But she was not really weird to us and to us means to our group. She just had her own way of dealing things and she seemed more mature than the rest of the group. Grace had really round eyes and umm she had olive skin? I don't know I guess so and she was an Ace on tests whilst I was literally struggling to manage to get at least a B on every subject. Anyway it was nice to have someone who's good in studies in our group you know... she can help us out.

Well... Rose has the same height as me but she keeps arguing with me that she was a bit taller although everyone knew it was not true. She got a quirky side, very hot tempered and hot headed but very generous and giving in a way. She also has pretty huge round eyes which I sometimes envy of and a small mouth and fair skin which I guess beautifully match the short black bob haircut she was wearing.

I guess the four of us including Kelly met on 5t h  Grade... well except for AK and Kelly. Before I went to Horizon school, I studied at ILBC that was another popular International school in Mandalay. I think it was in 1s  t  grade me, Kelly and AK met. Yea but then they switched schools so we weren't in contact for a while. The four of us were like blood sisters or something, I know it probably sounds weird but we turned out so well together and we were the best of friends. It was just a pity that Kelly was not with us.

Unlike in America, we students don't need to move an inch from our class, it's our own and subject after subject the teachers flowed into the room one by one. When the bell rang after History class, me and my gang head to the cafeteria for lunch.  Oh my stomach is growling be quite, it would be really embarrassing if other kids heard it, I patted my belly. When I set my eyes on the canteen the growling even got worse!  Oh no bad news, gosh the other kids are so fast. Damn do they have vampire speed power or something? I looked at the long depressing line of students queued just for food.

After I waited for 10 whole minutes which sadly seemed like hours to me, I could finally pick up my tray! I took a look at the buffet and well the food is not so bad. There was umm... gravy with chicken and some vegetable accompanies and it indeed looked very tasty, fried vermicelli with veggies, burgers and fries hmm. I was like so craving for burgers so I went with it. Most of my friends complained that I was going to look sloppy when I eat it but I didn't care either way!

Trying to find a seat in the cafeteria was like a competition, and believe me people took it very seriously and it was no joke. I carried my food tray and scanned across the room trying to find a table for my gang. Luckily i spot a place at the very corner so i decided to reserve it as fast as i could. The gang didn't arrive yet and i couldn't wait for them no more so i started to dig in the deliciously juicy burger hmm... yumm i swear, the cooking lady sure did ace in making these babies. Suddenly the surrounding became dark and i looked up to see what was making those shadows. And then i saw them. Boys. Not boys from my class but the seniors. I frowned as i knew that war was about to begin and it wasn't going to be pretty!