The Eighteenth ✉️

Published: 01/10/2017; Tuesday; 11:48pm; Unedited

So it's safe for me to say that this story is almost over.

🐱

This hint was a lot harder than he thought, now that he looks at it. Who would stare at a clock other than from spacing out? He groaned, ruffling his hair as he tried to think of a person who would watch a clock from curiosity.

He was supposed to be working on his assignment, but he couldn't concentrate on his work, how could he? With Ladybug so close to being in reach-- he could hug her and tell her everything he's always wanted to say. He--

"Dude," Nino nudged him, breaking him out of his thoughts, "I've never seen you frown at physics work, what's up?"

"The recent hint has me distracted," he confessed to his best friend, "and Chloe has been on my back trying to get me to spill about Ladybug. I can't even concentrate on my favorite subject!" He sighed, leaning his cheek on his palm, looking at his paper sadly.

"...what's the hint?" Nino asked after some silence, trying to think. He didn't know who Marinette chose for hints, and he can't tell Adrien who Ladybug is, but he can help his bro out, right? Adrien took out the letter, sliding it to his friend, who opened it and read it carefully. "Staring at a clock, huh?" Nino murmured, it seemed really familiar. Who had he seen gazing at a clock with curiosity? "Oh," Nino remembered, it was-- "Alix."

"Huh?" Adrien looked over at Nino in shock, and his friend shrugged. Hopefully Alya wouldn't find out if his assistance, he was going to just drop an easier hint, but Adrien looked like he was suffering.

Nino nodded, sliding the note back, " 'You can find her staring at the clock, curious about time.' I've only ever seen Alix stare at her pocket-watch as if it was the world's biggest mystery. Not sure if I'm right, but you should at least ask her."

"Thank you, Nino," Adrien's shoulders sagged in relief and only then did Nino realize how strung out he actually was for all of this. "What would I do without  you?"

"Probably jump off a cliff, someone has to keep you grounded."

Adrien could only laugh.

🐱

He eventually found Alix after school, she was sitting on a brick wall, the wind blowing as she stared down at her lap.

There, is where she held a beautiful pocket-watch with intricate designs and when opened, a hologram of a woman holding a clock with the time would be present, and each time, she could only stare with wonder.

"Alix," he called out, and her lips quilted into a small smile. She had expected him to find her soon, so she just waited everyday after school until he did, and here he was.

"Have you ever thought about time?" she asked him, and she heard him walk closer, but she didn't move, her eyes watching the ticking of the clock. "How it works? How they figured out how time works? How time isn't the same in different parts of the world?" She breathed, "How much time you have?" Adrien was about to respond when she snapped the pocket-watch shut, refusing to look his way, "She could have moved on, you know? There are plenty of people out there that have fallen for her and she didn't even notice because all she saw was you."

Adrien listened with wide eyes, remembering his words with Nathanael, who had been in love with Ladybug far longer than he has. Was he naive enough to believe that the red-head was the only one?

"All of her time...was dedicated to you," she finally turned around to face him, in her hand instead of the pocket-watch was the letter he had come for. "Wasted on you." He couldn't speak up, the look in her eyes as she spoke to him made his throat close. "So you better be willing to give all of your time to make up for hers, because she could have moved on. She could have saved her time and save herself the heartbreak of watching you forget her..." she stopped, breathing. "I look up to her. A lot of us do, and it hurt having to watch her watch you for all these years. You have a lot to make up for, so start with finding her, and make her happy." She extended her arm out, and suddenly, Adrien could breathe, and hesitantly took the letter. "If it helps any, thought don't take my word for it, I think I'm the last hint."

His mind exploded with thoughts a mile per second.

Alix was possibly the last hint.

"I'm sorry," he apologized, remembering everything she told him.

"Don't apologize to me," she rolled her eyes, and punched his shoulder, making him wince. She hits hard. "Hurry up and find your princess."

He sent the shorter girl a grateful smile, and nodded, "I will."

🐞✉️🐞

He's chill, and funny, he's loves to DJ, and he's your best friend.