Chapter 1

It was in the mid eighties, and breezy as I walked home from school. It had been a long day full of annoying math problems, and teachers who don't explain the work well enough. I was just glad to finally be done with the day and go home to my wonderful bed.

The breeze was making my blonde curls brush into my face, and goose bumps raise up on my arms. I stopped by a nearby tree so I could put my hoodie on, and be embraced by it's comforting warmth. In the middle of putting on my hoodie, which currently was in the half on, half off stage. Probably looking like a goon... I heard a twig snap.

This is a usual thing for me because the only walking path to my house is cutting through the woods. But this was different. I don't know how or why but this was different... it gave chills, up and down my spine, and around my body. It was pure terror.

I reluctantly turned around to see nothing. Which was unsettling because I knew something was there, I didn't just get that feeling for nothing. Even though it was probably just me being a paranoid little baby. I picked up my bag, and continued walking. Right then another feeling surfaced on m skin. The hair on my back stood on end, and I had the feeling again... that somebody eyeing holes into the back of my head. I could feel them watching me, this was enough to completely scare living crap out of me so I picked up my pace. I was basically running to my house. The feeling continued, growing stronger and stronger by the second. I thought I heard footsteps like someone or something was chasing me. This made me run even faster. Eventually after what felt like miles, I reached my driveway.

I ran up the driveway and lurched through the door. shut it behind me. Then locked every possible lock that was on the door. Maybe I imagined the footsteps and sounds.... It was probably just a bunny like in all the movies.

Yes Caroline. Of course. A bunny that chases you. That makes sense.

I stood there just breathing. I finally was able to convince myself that it was overreacting and that it was in my head. So I walked into the kitchen and got my usual snack and glass of Dr. Pepper.

I walked upstairs, drink in hand and went into my room.

It was decorated pretty nicely. And was decent sized. It was themed with birds and trees... I've always been obsessed with flying away, and being free. Probably because my dad was so strict and kept me on such a tight leash ever since my mom died when I was 7.

It was an accident. She was painting in the house and was up on a ladder, she lost her balance and fell. You can guess the rest.

Since then my dad doesn't let me do anything dangerous.

I hopped onto my bed and put my earphones in. Jamming out to Imagine Dragons. My favorite band.

Homework. The bane of my existence. I always did it, but I often wish I could just ditch and quit school. But that's not an option.

Here in the small town of Bakelyn, Colorado at Banister High School, intelligence is the most important thing , so if you are not graduating with straight A's you are frowned upon. I'm closing into the last few moments of my senior year, and have straight A's, so no worry there.

4x-2a+90^2*26^24=9x^2

This was going to be a long week... Continuing the problem, a loud slamming noise aroused from downstairs. Kind of like someone was banging on the door... It was probably just my dad coming home from work. I walked out of my room to greet him when I realized no one was home. It was just me. Once again a furious pounding sounded on the front door. I stood paralyzed wondering whether to go see who the moron at the door was, or to be worried it had to do with what I heard earlier...

My decision was made quick though because the last pound the person did went threw the door. I spun around and ran to my door and locked it. Grabbing my phone, I dialed 911 like my life depended on it. Oh wait... it did.

"911 what's your emergency?" the operator asked.

"Hello? Help! Someone is breaking into my house! He broke down the do-" I stopped mid-scream. I stopped because I heard a manly voice yelling from downstairs.

"Michal! Where the hell are you!" the man almost snarled. "You know why I'm here! The Alpha is done with all your shit!" He screamed. His voice was raspy.. Very loud... Sounded like he's been smoking his whole life.

Alpha? Is that supposed to be some code name? Is my dad part of a drug ring? Is he-

I stopped thinking and listened. I heard the faintest creak of a stair. Dread washed upon me like a tidal wave. He's going to get me!

Hmmm... I need to think of something.. I could try to fight him? No you dummy... Your a puny wimp you couldn't fight off a teddy bear.

Another creak, then another. He was coming faster and faster. I looked around to find my options. Window! That had to be my only option for how close the man was. I leapt over to my window and started fumbling to get it open. The pounding footsteps against the floor meant I only had a few seconds left.

"I can smell you girl!" He growled viciously.

This snapped me into reality and I was able to get the window open. Getting prepped to jump, I turned my head just in time to see my door fly across my room into the other wall. Standing there in the doorway, a man with animalistic features, shaggy hair, huge muscles, and had to be over six feet tall. We made eye contact before I jumped. His eyes were cold and hard. Almost unforgiving.

I jumped, but of course my clumsy self and I just had to land right in the perfect spot, I heard the bone crunch as It slammed into the ground. I screamed out in pain, but knew I couldn't stop now. I flipped around, about to limp away when I knew I was screwed. All I saw was a flash, and heard a snarl that ripped through me like I had been electrocuted. Then everything was black.