Chapter Six;

"You want me to what?" Greer sat down, her hand over her mouth.

"Greer, you said if I needed anything-"

"But spying? Mary, am I really the best person for this job?" she asked.

"Greer is right," Lola stepped into the conversation and sat down beside Greer. "If anyone should spy on Alaina, it should be Kenna. She's less suspicious."

"I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult," Kenna said, peering around Mary so that she could be seen. "How exactly do you want us to spy, anyway?"

"Well, I've recently found out that two of her ladies were sent to her by others."

"Ah, yes, I did find Jane's accent to be a bit funny."

"She's English, sent from Elizabeth," Mary explained as she sat down.

"And Natalie was sent from the Pope," Said Kenna.

"How did you know that?" Mary asked, turning around to look at her.

"I talked to her," she replied while shrugging her shoulders as if it wasn't a hard thing to do. "The Pope is quite fond of Alaina, actually."

"Is that why Francis said, not even the Pope could save you if you crossed her?"

"Is she even catholic?" Greer asked, feeling left out of the conversation for not knowing much about their new enemy.

"She'd have to be if the Pope sends her jewels and ladies," replied Kenna, her arms now crossed over her chest. "I'd like to be sent jewels and ladies. Must be nice."

"Perhaps Lola may be right, Kenna," Mary was watching her carefully.

"What do you mean?" she asked as she sat up, looking from Mary to Lola. "About what?"

"About you spying on Alaina," she said, her lips curving into a smile. "After all, her daughter is now your step-daughter."

"Does she even spend time with her daughter?" Kenna asked.

"She tries to, but often leaves her in the care of her mother. Francis brings her often to see John, she is fond of him," said Lola.

"She must be like her mother, fond of Francis and anything having to do with him."

"Then wouldn't she be fond of her father?" asked Kenna. "Bash says she refuses to have anything to do with him. Even hates it when you say they look so much alike."

"I wonder why that is," Lola looked at Mary. "Why would a child hate their father, but love their uncle?"

"And what did Bash mean by saying that Alaina is quite fond of Francis?"

"I really want to know what he was going to say before he stopped himself," said Mary as she looked up from the floor to her ladies. "Why he decided against marrying her?"

"But Francis said it was because she became a Queen."

"That isn't like Bash to not marry the woman he loves simply because of her title," said Mary. "He was willing to marry me, and that would have made him king consort."

"And may I remind you, he did secure us the title of Baron and Baroness," add Kenna proudly.

"Now that I think about it," Lola sat up straighter, "That does seem a little odd. If Bash loved her, he would have been willing to become a king... so why then?"

****

"It seems Catherine has a way of rubbing off on more than just one queen," Alaina turned to peer out the open window while chewing on her thumb. "Seems I underestimated her."

"Is this not what you wanted?" Henry looked up from his hand full of cards.

"Not entirely, not like this," she said, removing her thumb from her mouth and crossing her arms. "She is proving herself to be skilled in the art every woman is capable of, that of finding out information involving their husband. If only she could apply this to finding out the secret to being a great queen."

"Then you'd have a rival, would you not?" Natalie plucked a card from her deck and carefully placed it down on the table. "I think we should accept Lady Kenna among us and tread carefully on the secrets we spill."

"It would be nice to have another lady amongst us who enjoys having fun," added Maria.

Alaina brought her hand back up to her mouth and began to chew at her finger once more. But do I play into her hand or do I wait? She turned, the tip of her thumb still in her mouth as he blue eyes scanned the room for one lady in particular. Wrapped in the finest of furs, close to the fire, a book in hand, sat Anne.

"You've been quiet, Anne," said Alaina. "What are your thoughts?"

"Tread carefully my Queen," she said without looking up from her book. "Kenna is not only the former lady of the Scottish Queen but the wife of your daughter's father."

"Anne is always quick to suck the fun out of things," Maria mumbled as she set down her embroidery. "It would be nice to have another like Jane and I around."

"You know who I've yet to meet since we've been here?" Natalie set down her cards and turned in her chair to look at Alaina. "Your sister, why not invite her to court?"

Anne closed her book with a loud thump and looked up at Natalie. "You are better of with Claude in your company," she said as she rose to her feet, her nose in the air.

"Don't get your hopes up, Anne," Alaina sighed, "She's due back any day now. I have no doubt once she receives word that I am at court, she will arrive as soon as she can to pester me."

"Is she beautiful?" Henry turned in his chair to look up at Alaina.

"You're married!"

"That never stopped you from entering my chambers at night," he said with a smirk.

"Why I never, you entered my chambers!" cried Alaina. "You will do best to hold your tongue around others, your Grace. Remember that."

"Of course, you Majesty," he smirked.