Chapter 1

Quinn POV

I swirl my spoon in my mug from my
cappuccino, the little heart that the barista made now gone. In its place a swirled combination of brown and a frothy white.

"Hey!" Carmen says and brings her phone down to her lap," I was trying to get a picture of our cups together!"

Dean and Joel chuckle as they sip their coffees. Dean wraps his arm around Carmen and puts his head in the crook of his neck.

"Well you see my dear," I take the spoon out of the cup and lick it so I waste none of the yummy liquid. "I don't care for your Tumblr-istic photos and I am tired and need my mourning buzz." I smile at her and bring the cup to my lips and drink a few sips of my cappuccino.

Joel chuckles again next to me and purposely bumps his shoulder against mine.

I rest my head against his shoulder and he wraps his arm around me.

I wish he was my mate.

My heart rate increases under my gray sweater. He rubs soothing circles on my shoulder with his thumb.

The four of us sit in a comfortable silence.
I press the button on my phone and the screen lights up instantly.

9:07, damn it I'm late.

"Well lads, this was nice. But I have a meeting to get to." I slide out of the booth and sling my messenger bag over my shoulder.

"But you don't have to meet your mom dad and brother until 10:30?" Carmen questions raising and eyebrow.

"I'm running there." I jokingly wink and slowly turn away.

I walk out of the small café and walk to path to the woods. After walking a few yards one of our pack guards nods his head towards me and I give him a two finger salute.

I move the branches to a big willow tree and undress myself and throw my clothes in my bag.

I breath in and close my eyes.
'Ready?'
          'Always.'
I silently chuckle and open my eyes again feeling my body change, my eye color changing and the familiar feeling of bones cracking.

Before and know it I'm on all fours. I shake my fur feeling the cool under my paws. I grab my bag in my mouth and start a slow jog taking in the familiar background. This time it's just... less green.

I quicken my pace and I'm running. I jump over over turned trees and dodge big tree stumps.

I slow to a stop when I come to the pond.  Although not frozen completely the water had small ice patches floating around. A doe stands there dipping her long neck down and drinking the water.

I get down into a fighting stance my white and gray fur coat blending in with the snow.

A warning growl emits from my throat and the deer look up and around well, aware I'm there.

I charge at her my paws scraping the snow from the ground. She runs and I chase. My favorite game.

I howl as I run and increase my speed.