Chapter One

Chapter One: Emylee's POV

I wake up with a sore feeling in my gut. The kind that has hyper, nervous, and lazy all tied together. Truth is, I really am excited to start school here in North Carolina, but being from California, it's not as close to home as I was hoping.

People say home is where the heart is. I hope to find this true once I start making friends, but I can't guarantee this bottle of sand from the beach in Sacramento will keep me satisfied. And who knows, by the time I start making friends we may have to move, again.

I tear my eyes from the bottle of sand and look over at the clock. I have one hour to get ready. I start by ripping my limbs from the warmth of the bed and head over to the closet where I find some light blue waist shorts with studs on the back pockets and a white crop top. I tuck the bottom of my shirt into my shorts and head to the bathroom. I look at my hair and don't even bother with the salt water waves I have after spending all of yesterday in the water. I just put on a little makeup, grab my white converse and head down the stairs.

My mom has already left for work which means I'll be finding my own way to school. I grab my bag from the door hanle--the one that's worn and probably about to rip. On the way out the door I grab my long board and a pear.

I ride to school, throwing my stem in the courtyard by the front of the building. The kids here look at me like I'm from the 1800s, but I just walk past them with pride. I find my first class pretty easy, it's kind of hard to miss the signs on the doors that say "new student Emylee Mae" in black marker.

When I walk in, the room smells of old pizza, almost as if it had been left out over night. I take a seat by the window at a group of four desks. More students arrive and soon, almost all the seats in the class are filled. Two boys and a girl sit at my group of tables, and it makes me a little uncomfortable.

The boy sitting to my right has dark hair, dark eyes. I read the name on his homework sheet, Cameron Dallas. The boy sitting in front of me has dark brown hair, and blue eyes that send a signal to my heart. I can't read his paper form where I am without making it obvious, so I look at the blonde sitting next to him. She smiles at me like I'm five so I smile at her like I'm five, with a big, cheesy smile. Then I wipe it off my face.

"So where are you from?" Cameron turns to me, putting his arm around the back of my chair.

"California, far." I answer almost shy.

"California?" The blue eyed doll across from me says, and I can't tell if it's directed as a question he wants answered, so I just nod.

"And your name?" Cameron asks.

"Emylee Mae,"

"Wait," the girl at our table turns around with that teenage "oh my gosh" face, "you're telling me that you're the girl everyone has been gossiping about? Please, they have got to have better things to talk about, I mean, look at you, you're not as gossip worthy as they make you seem."

"Thanks," I smile and roll my eyes. This can't get worse.

The teacher finally walks in as the bells dings three times to signify the start of class and time in which I zone out.