Chapter Two

After about ten minutes, Christy's sobs on Rhett's shoulder seemed to slow a bit. She coughed and hugged Rhett a little tighter, fear and worry coursing through her veins like ice water. Chills ran up and down her spine and she shivered in response. "Rh-Rhett, where is he? In my heart, I-I know he's in danger. What happened? What happened..." Christy's voice was quiet as she spoke. It trembled in fear and worry.

Rhett sighed softly, trying to keep calm for Christy's sake. "I wish I could just bring him home to you, where ever he is. And I wish I could promise you that he's safe, but I have no idea. I'm so terribly sorry, Christy. We will find him. He will come home." Christy nodded and took a shaky breath, slowly letting go of Rhett. She smiled ever so slightly, out of gratefulness. "Thank you, Rhett. I really appreciate all you've done for me and Link. I can't thank you enough." Rhett smiled a little and nodded. "It's the least I can do. We're here for you and your family, always. We'll do whatever we can to help you guys get through this."

Christy smiled a little again, her heart lightening up a bit, despite the fact that she was still terrified. She just wanted her husband home, safe and sound. She wanted to know where he was as well. What had happened? It was all so mysterious. She had no idea what could have happened. He didn't even put on shoes or take the car, and his side of the bed was perfectly made. None of it added up, and this both worried and confused Christy.

Rhett stood up, his back aching slightly. It felt as though a small spark of flame had been lit in his lower back, and if he wasn't careful, a fiery furnace of pain would unleash itself throughout his entire back. He stepped out of the room, hearing the click of the light and the creak of springs as Christy seemed to go back to bed. Rhett decided to be quick on the phone with the police. He wanted to let Christy try to rest in peace for the rest of the night, yet he knew in his heart she would not get another wink of sleep all night. Just as he knew he wouldn't either. They both would be too worried to sleep, no matter how tired they might be.

Rhett took a deep breath and dialed 911. He filed a missing person's report to the officer on the other line, tears filled his eyes as he relaxed himself, not focusing on holding Christy together anymore. After giving as much needed information, Rhett hung up. He left the house, locking the door behind him. He took a deep breath of the cool, night air. His eyes closed, a single tear escaped his closed lids and rolled down his cheek as he stood outside the door. He shoved his hands in the pockets of his hoodie and sighed. He looked up, the gentle light of the moon caught his small, silent tears as they gracefully made their way down his cheeks and into his thick, but neatly kept beard. He opened his eyes, biting his chapped bottom lip. A great fear was bubbling up inside his ever beating heart, a fear that was from deep inside of his soul. "Link, whenever you are right now, I promise I will find you. I will bring you home to your family. I promise this to you, brother. No matter how hard it is, I will bring you back to us."

             Link took another step, a cold chill ran up his spine once more. He drew in a steady breath, trying to calm his racing heart. It was absolutely freezing in this house. Link took another step forward, a light step as though the house would crumble under his weight. He shivered, flashing the beam of golden light everywhere before stepping toward another room. The room was a total mess, broken chairs were strewn across the floor, tables were overturned. The once white curtains were light brown with stains and dirt. They were torn as though something had been clawing at it viciously. That thought frightened Link even more. What if he wasn't alone here?

Shaking his head to clear the thoughts from it, Link squeezed his eyes shut. That's when he felt something crawling up his leg, and his back, and something on his shoulder. Link screamed as he opened his eyes and saw dozens of tarantulas crawling all over him. He swatted them away, running as fast as his tired legs would carry him.

As soon as they were all off, he sighed, breathing heavily. He was in a totally different room, a foyer. A large, marble staircase was in the middle of the room, leading to the upper floor. Link turned around, his heart lightening as he saw a door that seemed to lead outside. He ran for it, trying to pull it open, but the door wouldn't budge, not in the least. He pushed and pulled with all his might, but nothing would happen. Link's heart sunk back down again and he sighed as he leaned against the door and slid down. He wrapped his arms around himself and took a shaky breath. His heart picked up pace once more, starting to cause his chest to ache badly.

Link opened his closed eyes after a while. He could swear he saw a pair of glowing red eyes staring at him. He froze, but it was gone in the blink of an eye. Standing to his feet, he started to tremble. He saw something, he knew he did. And that was enough to send him running out of the room. He tripped over a broken piece of wood. The sudden impact of his body on the old wood caused it to break, and he fell down, down, down, until, crash!
He landed on the floor below, everything going dark. The last thing he saw was the flickering beam of the flashlight as it went out in front of him, then, he fell unconscious.