Chapter Seventeen

Link smiled a little and leaned against Rhett. "Rhett, he messed up my shoulder again. I-I want to go home, please,I want you out of here. A-and away from that man." Link looked up at Rhett, his expression was pleading and he looked scared. Anxiety was bubbling up in him.

"We will, but brother, my back is still messed up. I can't really move at all. I mean, I could sit up, but it hurts. I can't walk, how are we supposed to get out of here?" Link drew in a shaky breath.

"I mean, I could help you walk. I definitely can't carry you, you're heavier than me and my shoulder is killing me." Rhett looked at his friend sympathetically.

"What did he do?" Link closed his eyes at the memory, he thought for sure he was going to die, but he had escaped.

"He, uh, pinned me down, pressing really hard on my shoulders. I'm surprised nothing broke." Link sighed and looked over at Rhett again. Rhett screwed up his face and drew in a sharp breath through his teeth.

"Gosh, Link, I'm so sorry to hear that. We're gonna get out of here, we'll find a way. The chapel, the chapel healed you before, didn't it?" Link nodded. "So, then we need you to go back there right now and let your shoulder get healed!" Rhett said excitedly. Link drew his bottom lip into his mouth, lightly biting it as he considered the idea.

"But the man of stone might come through. The portal to where he is, is in the chapel. I don't want to go back there, at least, not alone." Link paused and put his head in his hands. "Rhett, I'm so scared. This has been too much. I know we're close to getting home, but, what if he kills us? Wh-what if we don't make it home? Rhett, I-I don't want to be here anymore, but I'm too scared to go back there. He could get me, an-and I know there'd be nothing you could do. C-cause he messed up your back and you can't move. Oh Rhett, please, lie back down. Y-you said it hurts and you know I don't like seeing you in pain. Please, Rhett, please." Link was all over the place. He worried about his own safety, Rhett's safety and comfort, and whether or not they'd be able to make it home. He was startled from his thoughts when he felt two arms causiously wrapped around him. Link gently hugged Rhett back, being mindful of his friend's hurt back.

Rhett rubbed Link's back gently and quietly said, "Linkster, it's all gonna be okay. I need you to trust me. We've made it this far, nothing's gonna stop us from getting home to our families. But, Link, if we want to go home, you're gonna have to go to the chapel, and I can't come with you. I'm so sorry, but I can't walk without your help, and you're not gonna be able to help if your shoulder's all messed up. I need you to be brave, you can do this. Just, get to the chapel, and get out. And I won't let that man of stone kill us. I won't. I'll keep you safe, but you need to get to the chapel and back before I can do that for you. And about the lying down thing, I would, but I'll need to get back up later anyway, so, it just makes most sense for me to stay here, brother."

Rhett continued to rub up and down Link's spine, trying to get the anxious man to relax and calm down. Link drew in a shaky breath, but before he could say anything, Rhett said softly, "Be strong for me, Link." And with those few words, Link pulled away from the hug. His eyes were now determined, new strength was in them.

"I will, Rhett. I will. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it, buddy. I need you to get over there now though." Link nodded and stood up. He took a deep breath and walked to the closed door.

"I'll see you soon, man." And with that, Link was gone. Rhett relaxed a bit and stayed still, not moving at all to prevent any more damage to his injured back.

Link ran, his heart pumping fast, sending his blood coursing through his veins. Gotta get there, heal, get Rhett, go home. That's it. I can do this. We're gonna get home. Soon, soon, soon...