Chapter 4: A Little Freedom

"I don't see why I need a wheelchair, I can walk. I understand the need for the portable heart monitor for the baby, though I don't feel it's necessary."

Deanna was frustrated, I could tell, and her thoughts were equally more so. I nodded and sat down at the small metal table which could possibly only hold three people.

"I understand your frustration sweetheart. But this is just to make sure the baby is healthy and doing alright."

She waved her hand as if to dismiss the very fact, then she lowered her voice so that the soldiers in the room couldn't hear our conversation.

"Alright, but you would think they would at least allow me to have something with chocolate in it. That's all I've been craving since we got here."

I smiled and shook my head.

"In this century, all their desserts aren't replicated, they are the real thing. The sugar wouldn't be good for you."

I watched as she took my hand and hoisted herself up from the wheelchair.

"Excuse me gentlemen, is it possible for me to get some chocolate ice cream?"

One of the soldiers cracked a smile and laughed a little.

"My wife loves chocolate ice cream too. I'll see what I can do."

A smile spread across Deanna's face, the first genuine one I'd seen her give someone else in days.

"Thank-you."

The soldier nodded and headed towards the kitchen. Deanna stretched a little and took my hand and stayed on her feet. Shifting her weight a little, she took in the sights of this pretty much barren warehouse-like room. It was huge, and there wasn't much in the way of things to do, other than to eat or play pool. Or watch television. I noticed some of the soldiers were watching Deanna with curiosity. I narrowed my eyes at them, but they completely ignored me. She knew they were watching her.

"Can I help you gentlemen? What? You've never seen a pregnant woman before?"

One of the men just turned a shade or two red.

"Yes, but we've just never seen anyone like you before."

Deanna's attention was concentrated on the large American flag above our heads.

"50 stars. It's been awhile since I've seen one of these. I remember seeing one in the computer banks on the Enterprise with 52 stars."

She smiled at me and squeezed my hand.

"What do the thirteen red and white stripes stand for?"

I stared up at the flag and thought, it was so long ago since I'd heard about Earth's past.

"The stripes represent the original 13 American Colonies during the 18th century."

We heard laughter behind us, turning to look, there was a group of soldiers huddled around two tables and looked as if they were playing Poker. A smile spread across my face.

This could be my lucky day. Taking Deanna's hand, I led her over to the table's in which the soldiers were sitting.

"May we join you?"

Deanna squeezed my hand as the soldiers stood up as I helped her into a chair. Three months left, and she was doing surprisingly well for us being stuck in the 21st century.

"Of course. Tell me Mr. Riker, how good are you at Poker?"

My smile stayed plastered on my face.