[five hours]

The drive back home got interrupted by the sunset. Jaeyoon couldn't stop admiring the sky - there was something different about the sunsets here that he couldn't quite put his finger on. Maybe it was the collective subconscious hope that kept these mortals alive that made the colors richer.

Whatever it was, they ended up pulling over and getting out to admire the sunset, sitting on the ground and leaning against each other. Jaeyoon's new friends on either side of him reminded him of the melancholy embedded in the sunset: while it was beautiful, it was still an ending. And Jaeyoon had five hours left with his friends. He turned his face away and studied his hands in the dying light. What exactly was it that made him different, besides the physical qualities? His blood? His brain? Was it chemical?

Sometimes when he thought like this, his mind raced away from him, slipping in between the planes and whispering to him that none of them were real, how did he know if he was really existing if there were millions of different places to exist in?

"You okay?" Inseong whispered, so Youngbin couldn't hear. Jaeyoon didn't trust himself, but he still took Inseong's hand while he imagined himself being tried in the High Court for treason.

"Y-Yes," he whispered back unconvincingly.

"I'm here," Inseong said quietly. And maybe that was what finally opened the part of Jaeyoon's heart - an amorini's heart - that had to stay closed. His wings tingled, as if he was falling, but they were still sitting on the ground. Maybe the planes weren't real. Maybe he would fall through.

His heart felt heavy and light at the same time, like it knew it was betraying itself and its owner. But the pink love he saw swirling in the air even now made sense. It exploded in front of his eyes like fireworks, lacing through Inseong's body and his own, bathing their connected hands. It was dizzying, it was beautiful, it was terrifying.

It was his own.

Somehow, Jaeyoon had done the one thing you weren't supposed to: fall in love.