3 - Lunch

Ted sat at the breakfast table with his grandmother, poking at his jell-o. His heart lept when his mother's harsh voice startled him. "Ted, how many times have I told you to not play with your food? You're going off to college, start acting like an adult." Mrs. Wiggins was in the middle of preparing Ted for his first day in the university, doing things such as packing his bags and making sure he was presentable.

"Sorry mom," he quickly apologized. If I should start acting like an adult, maybe you should treat me like one, he retorted in his head. He stabbed his jell-o with his fork, stuffing it into his mouth hungrily. "I'm going to use the bathroom before I leave," he announced.

"Okay, be sure to fix your hair! Also, pl-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know, mom. Fix my hair, brush my teeth, I got it." Ted jogged upstairs with thoughts about college clogging his mind. Wonder who my teachers will be, he thought eagerly. Or if they have good food there. He reached the top of the stairs, and turned left into the bathroom. He took out a comb and ran it through his hair, making sure it was soft and smooth so his mom wouldn't scold him. "Your hair's too messy," he mocked. He threw the comb down and picked up his toothbrush. "Your teeth are too yellow," he sneered at himself in the mirror. He loved poking fun at how bossy his mother could be.

Once he finished brushing his teeth, he ran downstairs to find his mom zipping up his suitcase. "Finished packing for you! Here you go, Teddy," she beamed as she handed her son the bag. As much as Ted made fun of her, he had to admire all the things she did for him. He took the handle of the bag in his hand and smiled at her.

"Thanks, mom," he said in a hushed voice. He didn't really like to say thanks, especially to his mother. He sprinted towards the front door, with his suitcase trailing behind him. He put on his shoes that sat over by the entrance of the house, then opened the door. He was ready to begin his own life. As he stepped out of the house, a booming voice echoed through his ears.

"Aren't you going to say goodbye to us?!"

Ted turned around to see his mother and grandmother staring at him, their faces smoldering. "Sorry!" He ran back in and gave his mom a hug, then his grandmother. "Goodbye, both of you!" he told them.

"Be sure to use my advice," Granny Norma reminded him.

"Okay, but I don't think I'll ever be in a situation where ducks are invading the campus," he joked.

"But if you are, remember what I said!"

"I'll be sure to!" He rolled his eyes as he turned and darted for the now open front door. He didn't look back as he gripped the handle of his suitcase and ran down the driveway. A taxi was parked at the curb, awaiting Ted's arrival. His mother had ordered the taxi for him. He pulled the door to the vehicle open and stuffed his bag in before he stepped inside.

"I assume you're Ted Wiggins?" the cab driver asked him.

"Yeah, Ted Wiggins. I'm going to Thneedville Community College," he added.

"Okay. Buckle up, this will be a long trip."

"Sure," Ted said as he strapped himself in. He immediately took out his iPod and headphones, placing each ear bud in his ears. He turned on his music and leaned his head on the window. He enjoyed long car rides because he had more time to listen to his music.

----------

Ted was beginning to grow drowsy until he saw the grandeur of a building in the distance. "Is that the college?" Ted inquired.

"Yes. Maginificent, wouldn't you say?" the cab driver responded.

"Yeah. Much better than I imagined." Ted admired the building as it grew larger.