A Weird Conversation

• Dedicated to The Civil Wars

She wasn’t the only one. The roof, high above their heads was like the night sky, perfectly clear and showing an array of stars. On the ground there were four long oak tables, stretching almost the entire length of the Great Hall. Every single person sitting on the benches next to them were facing the first years. At the end another table, also facing the newcomers was a long row of teachers. In the centre was a chair which was unnecessarily grand, in Lucy’s opinion. Seated upon which was a stern looking woman with her white hair tied up in a bun. To her left was an empty seat, which Lucy assumed was to be filled by Professor Longbottom. At the far left of the table was Hagrid, and next to him was a pretty woman with her slightly bushy brown hair flowing freely over her shoulders. Along the table there was an array of teachers, including a woman who looked like she had been dragged through a bush backwards and then been given glasses for an owl.

After letting them gawp for a suitable amount of time, Professor Longbottom set off down the corridor in between the two centre tables. There was a bit of shuffling as to who was going to be first after him, so Lucy and Lily made the decision to follow him first. Everybody else, thankfully, followed. In front of the Headmistress, a Professor McGonagall, Lucy guessed from the name she had found on her letter, there sat a faded old hat, atop a stool. They came to a halt in front of it.

“When I call your name out, please sit on the stool and your house will be decided by the Sorting Hat.” The Professor instructed. He unfurled a scroll that he picked from a pocket, and started reading.

“Abbott, Robert.”

A small boy with robes that looked about eight stumbled past the girls, and up the three stairs to stand in front of the Sorting Hat. His black hair was quivering so badly from nerves there were a few muffled giggles. Lucy would have giggled too, had she not just realised she would most likely be next.

Professor Longbottom picked up the hat, and immediately it came to life, a crease in its composure forming its mouth, and another two its eyes. Once Robert sat on the stool, it was placed on his head, almost immediately; it opened its mouth and shouted.

Hufflepuff!

“Adams, Lucy-Anne.” Lucy blushed in response. How on earth did they know the middle name that was so embarrassing, it probably had its own section in Hell? She walked up to the front, and managed not to stumble on the stairs. She seated herself on the rickety three legged stool, and felt a small breeze as the hat was placed on her head. Her heart was beating as fast as if she had run a small marathon.

How can I tell where you ought to go if you do not know who you are? Your parents, both Gryffindors, both very brave in that war. With two sentences, the strange voice of the Sorting Hat had torn up everything she knew.

What do you mean, my parents? Everybody in the hall was now looking at her terrified expression.

You will have to ask that dear friend of yours; perhaps she can lead you to your answer. From the way you plan to go about this, you would not go well in Slytherin, and I don’t think you would enjoy Ravenclaw, as your intelligence is of a different kind. I think you would do well in the house where the last of your kind, and kin went.

 The Hat opened his mouth and shouted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha! Cliffhanger if ever you saw one. Now you wonder what her kind is, and her kin, and where she is going, and what she is going to ask, ansd so much else I can't be bothered to type.

All rights go to JKRowling, as all of the characters, settings, and so much else is her brainchild, apart from Lucy.

I've started writing this story at my school library in the morning. No more interruptions from sisters! Only occassional conversations with the librarian. I might have to base a character on her.

I have parents evening tonight. The bane of everyone who goes to school. My teachers are probably all going to say the same thing. "Could do better if she concentrated and stopped listening to music. She could achieve so many more A*'s if she concentrated." You can imagine how pleased my mum is going to be.