Chapter 26: Mystery Man

The days passed faster than they did at base, though that was probably down to the company. In the last few days before I left The Outcasts, the atmosphere had been so bleak that I preferred to spend time in the graveyard than around my boyfriend and best friend. At Ray's camp, everyone seemed happier. True, they didn't have the threat of Republicans bothering them, but they went about their daily lives a lot better than The Outcasts had.

It was a strange feeling – not knowing what was going on at The Outcasts's base. It should have played on my mind more than it actually did, but occasionally I'd get a shot of guilt. I had left everyone I loved. I left them to fend for themselves because I knew I was in trouble. Isaac had pointed out that – though my personal safety was at risk – me staying there would've been more dangerous to those around me. I later raised that me being at the camp was now tampering with their safety, to which Isaac fell quiet, Jade quickly changing the subject.

Jade and Shay were polar opposites. While Shay was loud, obnoxious and outspoken, Jade was kind and considerate. Her smile never failed to brighten a mood, her high pitched yet not irritating giggle radiating sweetness. How she managed to put up with Shay, I wasn't sure – if my best friend had nicknamed me Barbie I don't know if I'd be able to stick around her. Though Shay's constant pessimistic mood seemed to brighten up when she was with Jade, which made me grateful for her presence.

After a few days of insisting it was safe for me to venture out to help look for supplies, Ray finally agreed to let me join a small group. Groups travelled in pairs, which was a much better idea than being sent out in large groups. In pairs you could watch each other's backs without the massive responsibility of looking after an entire group. I was first paired with Isaac, which I was glad about. I liked Isaac.

At least I would have been paired with Isaac.

Oh for god's sake, hold still! Isaac, stop it!”

“Sounds promising,” Shay said dully, rising lazily from where she was lounged across one of the benches near the fountain. I sighed and pushed a copy of Of Mice and Men that had been salvaged by Ray off of my lap and followed Shay in the direction of the yell.

“I'm good, I swear!” I heard Isaac yell in clear anguish.

“Idiot, hold still.” It was Jade's voice.

“It's nothing, just get off me!”

“Don't look like nothing,” laughed a gruff voice.

“Shut up!” Isaac shouted.

Shay and I came into a clearing near the supply shed – a small ruined house tucked away behind the hospital hut. Isaac was sprawled across the ground, writhing in pain as Jade held a firm grip on his arm. Half a dozen other boys surrounded them, Alex sitting in the corner watching.

“I'll be all right,” Isaac insisted. “Honest, Jade, I'm fine.”

“Bro, Jonah just twisted your wrist,” one of the boys chuckled. His voice hadn't broken yet, and his large teeth were partially covered by his vibrant green braces.

“Possibly broken,” Jade remarked, and Isaac gulped.

“Oops,” the boy with the gruff voice said. He was tall and bulky, though he couldn't have been a day over eighteen. “Oh well, I win.”

Win?” Jade repeated scornfully.

“Yeah, I owe him my desserts for the next three days,” Isaac winced as Jade poked at his limp wrist.

“Honestly,” Jade scoffed, “acting like seven year olds – all of you!”

“Hey, I won them fair and square,” the gruff voiced boy – Jonah – said defensively.