Chapter Two: Confused

I pulled up in front of our house. It was more of a cottage really. It was my childhood home. On my way back I had called home. Gina had been worried when I hadn’t called when the movie ended and she had called Sebastian to find me. When he told her he didn’t know where I was she had almost started an entire search party. I told her about my convocation with the werewolf pack and the hunter who attacked us. I also told her that I had been ‘saved’ by a vampire and I could almost hear her dropping the phone. She seemed far more concerned about the vampire than the werewolves and the hunter. I didn’t mention I was driving a car he had left for me. With the mood she was in she would have ordered me out of the car and told me to stay put until she could pick me up. That would take too long and I would have that discussion with her when I got home.

She was watching from the window as I slowly got out of the car. Shit, I was in trouble but what the hell had I really done? Got attacked, then saved and dropped in a room miles from home – how was that my fault?

“You stole the vampire’s car? Couldn’t you have picked a different one?” She thought I stole it. I almost wanted to let her stay in those believes but we didn’t lie to each other.

“No, he left the keys in my bag. I would never have gotten a cap to drive this far so I took the car,” I shrugged. Gina’s concerned-face had turned to her angry-face. She tried to control herself while her black shoulder long hair fell back and forth with her deep breath. 

Will ran out and threw himself into my arms. My loving little brother held me tight. Gina must have told him. I hugged him back. “You smell weird,” mumbled he when he pulled away. I ran my fingers through his dark brown curls and kissed him on the forehead. If those werewolves tried anything to hurt my family I would kill them.

We sat down at the dinner table and I ate chicken and rice leftovers. I described how the werewolves looked, the hunter and of course the vampire. Will was trying to look brave but I could see he go really scared when I told them about the werewolves’ threat regarding Gina and Will’s moonlight runs on the Luna Mountains.

“There’s only four days to full moon. So we must do something before then but how to we scare of an entire werewolf pack?” Will said and looked helplessly at Gina and me.

“We can always tie us self down in the basement. But those chains are old and you are young and very strong, Will. I’m not sure they will hold you.” Gina was very concerned. “How many werewolves did you meet?”

“There was eight but that hunter killed at least four or five of them. The pack leader got away though. There has to be more who weren’t there.”

“Yes, they wouldn’t all go talk to you” she said thoughtfully and I could see she was holding something back. Something she was not telling me but our relationship was based on trust and she had never lied to me as far as I knew. It didn’t make sense for her to keep anything from me.

“But isn’t it weird they came to see me? I don’t look like a werewolf and I don’t smell like one – not entirely at least. Why didn’t they come see you?”

She froze at my question. “I don’t know but why don’t we talk more tomorrow after school? It’s almost one o’clock and you both have to get up early,” she said. There was something wrong. She was definitely keeping something from me. I clenched my fists and felt the rage rise inside of me. I wasn’t going to yell at her with Will in to room. I took my dish of the table and started cleaning it. Will ran up the stairs but Gina didn’t move.

“Are you okay? You seem a little weird,” I said and gave her an accusing glance. “Is it about the vampire? He lives in Charleston and I don’t think he’s that dangerous. He did save my life”