Chapter 2

My mom dropped me off at the park five minutes early. I was the first one there, so there wasn't much to do. I least it was June. There are only three more weeks of school. I'd be starting high school next year. After a little while, they started to show up.

"Glad to see you guys decided to show up," I said.

"Nice to see you, too," remarked Jia.

"So wh-"

Out of nowhere, the guy in the suit popped up right in front of us.

"Ok then," I started, "nice to see you, too."

"I will explain to you what your gems are if you pay a price," the guy said.

"What's the price?" Lynn asked.

"It has to be something important."

"All I have on me is my phone," I replied.

"Exactly," the guy remarked.

"So you're telling us that to know what these gems do, we have to give you our phones?" Maddy asked.

"Correct."

"Heck no!" I said.

"Well, then I guess you will never kno-" the guy started to say.

"Ok! Fine," I said.

I slowly handed him my phone.

"Anyone else?"

Everyone unwillingly handed him their phones. After everyone handed him their phones, he vaporized them right in front of us.

"Why did you do that!?" Maddy asked.

"I told you that you had to pay a price. Ok, moving past that, the gems give you powers?"

"What do you mean by 'powers'?" asked Kaylee.

"Superpowers." the guy replied.

"Ok, I've watched Batman and Superman, but I'm pretty sure superpowers don't exist," I said.

"So you don't want them?"

"No, we do!" Lynn said.

"Ok, now, the color of the gem depend on what power you get."

"So mine is red," Jia said, "what power do I have?"

"You have the power to control fire." the guy replied.

"Like, for real?" Jia asked.

Jia tried to use her powers by shaking her hand, and they set on fire.

"Cool," Jia said.

Mady was wide-eyed. "It- it doesn't hurt?" she asked.

"N- no, it doesn't," Jia replied.

She shook her hand again, and the fire went out. We all looked impressed.

"What's my power?" asked Kaylee.

"Kaylee. Your power is controlling nature."

She focused on the nearest tree. She moved her hands upward and pulled the entire tree out of the ground.

"Woah," Kaylee said.

"What about me!" I exclaimed.

"Cameron-"

"How do you know my name?" I asked.

"Uhh... we will discuss that later. Your power is to control water.

"Cool!"

I hopped over the fence and jumped into the pool. I could hear my friends vaguely. I could open my eyes under the water. I stayed under the water for an entire minute until my friends were near the pool telling me to get out.

When I got out of the pool, I wasn't soaked like I thought I'd be. I was completely dry.

"Cam! Come on, we gotta go! Our parents are here!" Mady said.

"One more thing before you go," the guy said. He snapped his fingers and our phones appeared in our pocket, but when I looked back up, the guy was gone.

"Where have you been!" my mom asked.

"Uhh... I couldn't find my phone. Sorry."

We all got into the cars and drove home.

By the time I got there, it was six, so I did my homework, and by the time I knew it, I had done all my homework, ate dinner, and was ready for bed.