Chapter 27

Third POV:

An intense stare-off was currently happening between two extremely dangerous mages, both containing a tremendously powerful amount of energy and magic that could easily destroy the entire arena. Though the two males may seem similar to everyone in the audience, all of them seeing them as two equally threatening wizards, both men are very different from one another in their intentions.

One of them seeks to protect her.

And one of them seeks to possess her.

Having the will to protect someone, one you care about and will do anything to save from harm, contrasts the will to possess someone, to be able to gain ownership over a specific person, and wanting to have them all for yourself.

The deviously smirking green-haired man, across the stadium, can only dream about how much he wants to possess Lucy Heartfilia, to obtain her and make her his queen. All of the sleepless nights he has spent thinking about how he could easily torment her, break her through torture until she couldn't think straight, and finally brainwashing her so she wouldn't remember any of the events that occurred that night. The infinite cycle would simply continue forever, for only if he had her within his clutches.

The enraged black-haired man, standing right beside his precious sister, Lucy Heartfilia, could only process through his mind about how he needed to protect his her from that maliciously insane man who dared try and cause any sort of damage to be inflicted upon her. The will to keep her safe and sound was exceedingly powerful, more than Ren's thoughts of being able to enslave her.

Since Zeref's will to protect his sister was so strong, it overpowered Ren's aura, signifying that Zeref was indeed the more life-threatening force between the two. Though Ren payed no attention to the fact that Zeref was stronger, he was more focused on his villainous intentions and his wicked plan that he prepared the moment he set foot on the battlefield.

His magic.

Ren never did show what his abilities had to offer, did he? No, though he may have disappeared for a few minutes, he was patiently waiting for the perfect moment to strike. He never did show his true magic.

Flashback

As soon as the announcer spoke those words, Lucy's opponent, Ren, disappeared immediately. Using her dragon slayer abilities, she looked around to see if she could try and find him first, or maybe even pick up his scent from anywhere located in the arena.

"C'mon dearest Lucy... where am I~?" A deep voice spoke, startling most of the crowd, but she kept her cool and continued to locate where he was exactly.

"Where are you hiding?! Stop acting like a coward and come out and fight me!" Lucy yelled at him, although she couldn't locate exactly where he was hiding.

"I guess I could come out..." As soon as he said those words, he immediately reappeared across the arena from her, his hood still up so Lucy couldn't see his face.

End of Flashback

His disappearance from the arena wasn't so he could merely "taunt" the blonde-haired mage at the beginning of the match, but to use his magic to set up a trap, a trap strong enough to even capture the Black Mage himself.

There was no specific name to call his "magic," but it could be known as some sort of concealment magic, or a certain type of magic where Ren could set up a barrier, however long or wide as possible, and control anyone or anything within the space of the barrier. The name of the magic itself doesn't strike fear into the hearts of anyone when spoken, but once seen by the human eye, only then is when it could be truly classified as a horrifyingly destructible power to be able to wield. A simple command is all it takes to easily send an excruciatingly powerful wave of pain to be inflicted upon the two mages on the other side of the arena.