Chapter 7: Branded Pain

"You will take Johann's responsibility as of now." Those lines made my heart ache more. I cried. I cried silently but my mom never faltered. She didn't move towards me. She looked at me like I was a figurine. Hard and immovable.

I began sobbing like a little kid. She looked at me with an unreadable expression.

"Stop it. We can't take them back." She said calmly, I bitterly laughed.

"You shove them away. Too far I can't reach them anymore." I said through gritted teeth. She grinned and what I was feeling worsened.

"They chose to go because they don't want us anymore." And she started walking away.

I tried so hard to move on. And Evans was nowhere. Not because he doesn't want to but because he was sent away.

My only chance of saving myself was clearly being sent away.

I cried every night. I was too young and I didn't have any close friends. The longest relationship I've had was with the housemaids. They were the only people she keeps and never drives away.

But they were useless to talk to since they report everything to her. They were her eyes at home. And they won't even tell me where she sent Evans that time.

Evans' responsibility to the family was quite tiring. He was doing my share since my mom thinks I won't ever be ready.

I am okay with that but it was still a lot to bear.

I have to wonder were he is all the time. Is he okay? Am I okay? Will we ever feel okay?

And I woke up one day, and two damn years had passed. That was when an unknown number texted me saying, "Call me and I'll help you out."

I ignored it since I do not really reply to any unknown digit. I'm not trying to be a snob, I'm just trying to be cautious.

"Sleep early, we will have the whole day tomorrow to visit your fiancé." I stopped painting.

"Visit my fiancé?" I bitterly laughed. I turned to her as my grip on the brush tightened.

"Do not try to protest. It was a done deal." That was what she said.

"What? A done deal? Are you that desperate to stay as mighty as you are that you're willing to throw your children as a bait?" I blurted angrily.

She walked towards me. "Honey, this is the price that you have to pay for being born as my daughter." Those words came out from her mouth smoothly.

And I wondered what is she really feeling right now. Is she concerned? Is she even aware that I am hurting right now but what she said next confirmed everything that she felt at the moment.

"It's not like you'll die or anything. You just need to marry the man and provide me the connections I need. This is my dream Kreyon. Help me build my dream."

The brush I'm holding snapped on my hands. "And ruin me?" I smiled bitterly. Trying to brush everything off. Thinking of ways to forget those damned words coming from her mouth.

She held my cheek. "This is for us. Do it for us."

"For you!" I shouted. "This is only for you and your freaking name. The name you badly want to keep there...up high. This is not for me."

She smiled but her eyes betrayed her.

"This is for us. You were born for this. You were born because this is what you must do." She said sternly.

I laughed in disbelief.

"Now I know why dad left. Why Johann left. You're really a piece of art. A heartless hypocrite claiming she isn't when in fact she sure is." That earned me a slap.

"I am your mother. I am the one who'll tell you what you must do. I own you. And you should obey me."

And then she left.

The mark left on my cheek was nothing compared to the mark she left inside of me. My pent up anger consumed all of the reasons I believed in just so I'll see her differently. Johann was right.

This life is damned the moment it was given to us.

That night a ticket was given to me.

The one who said he'll help me out.

Evans King Monteverde