Day Forty-Four

It has been three long and agonizing days. In all my time on the Ark I have never fought for so long. Whoever they were they wanted our land and were prepared to wipe us out piece by piece until we fled. They did not understand that this cove was our home, not just some piece of land to us, we would not run from thieves. Cradix sat up on the ramparts watching the bay as the sun rose that morning. I climbed up to meet him, I glanced back at the main complex. The paddock was empty the animal that had been outside had all been killed in the battles. I was so thankful the we had the aviary for our fliers and that I kept Blue-eyes safely locked away in the barracks. I had died many times in recent days, the men attacking us were relentless.

Cradix glanced over at me from where he sat, he was glancing between two ramparts every few moments, tracking the movement of the three boats in the harbor. His sniper rifle in his hands ready to fire if one of them stepped foot onto the deck.

I took my position on the wall, relieving Swan to go get some rest. "When are they going to leave?" I asked as I checked the sniper rifle beside me and began to clean the auto rifle I had brought to the wall with me.

"At this rate never," Squirrel said from Cradix's other side. The three of us were all that defended our base at the moment, Swan, and Jmac were getting some rest.

"Has anyone figured out how many of them there are or where they even came from?" I asked.

"We think there are only ten of them, but we never see more than five, so there is no knowing for sure." Cradix whispered to me, he put the barrel of his rifle on the stone to stabilize it put his eye to the scope and pulled the trigger. My ears rang from the crack, but Cradix grinned. "Got one of the bastards." He said sitting back against the stone. I put my own sniper rifle on the stone and pulled the trigger as another of the enemy stepped onto the deck to gather their fallen comrade, I hit his shoulder but he fell into the water and by the look of it a pair of sharks took him further under. "Something is wrong with the Ark, there are new people showing up, I noticed the other day that there was a new tribe, the old safeguards are failing but I don't understand why,"

"Are either of you aware if we have hit any of their beacons?" Cradix asked.

"I haven't heard about anyone managing to take them out permanently," I said, Squirrel shook his head.

"I was hoping one of you might have managed it," Squirrel said.

"How are we going to drive them off?" Cradix said, thinking out loud.

"If we could get out to gather supplies we could manage a rocket or two and take out their boats," Squirrel suggested.

"The second the quetz is above the walls they will shoot you down." Cradix said, he stared up at the sky, "We need a way out,"

"You want to leave?" I asked.

"What no," He laughed, "I mean we need to get out of the base so we can get around them and attack." He said, I let out a heavy sigh for a moment I thought he was the one going insane.

"We need to send a bird for help," I said, Cradix and Squirrel both glanced at me.

"No," I said, I could see what they were both thinking, "Not at all what I meant, I am not going to ask him," I said.

"It is his job to protect us," Squirrel said, "His tribe is the largest and most prepared for this sort of thing, the Divine Knights owe it to our way of life to come to our aid."

"Then send a dimorphodon," I said, "I am not going,"

"Fang we need you to go," Cradix said, I stared at him, he knew how I had left things with Mejo yet he wanted me to go, "He will listen to you, yes it is his duty but his will come to your aid because if he thinks it will make up for what he did, he will do it." He said.