Prologue 1

A young girl cowers in the corner, her arms wrapped around her knees, sobbing quietly in the dark, cold room. The rough stone scrapes against her back and the straw she sits upon itches against her bare legs. No matter how much she piles it up around her, it doesn’t help hide her modesty and provides no protection from the brute on the other side of the door.

He will be back soon, she thinks to herself, fear rising through her like frost. She shivers violently, hugging herself tighter and closing her eyes, trying to imagine a warm place where no one can harm her.

A loud bang brings her to her senses and she sees the large worn boots of the brute, back to terrorize her.

“Ello gorgeous. Missed me?” She just buries her hand in her knees, an uncontrolled sob leaving her. “I take that as a yes,” he growls with a laugh.

He stomps over to her and stares down at the small figure below him, a malicious smile spreading across his face.

“Look at me,” he growls, nudging her with his boot. She gasps in pain as his boot comes into contact with the many bruises on her thighs. She lifts her head, but keeps her eyes downcast, knowing that she will be his prey either way. “I said look at me, you bitch!”

She glances up at his face, almost disgusted to see the look of lust in his eye.

“Good girl,” he purrs, reaching down to stroke at her matted hair. “Are you going to play nice today? If you kiss my boot, I will let you out of this room to clean the castle. If you do a good job, I may even allow you to wash.”

“You’re disgusting. Why would I want to clean this wretched castle?”

“Because you’re a whore and whores do as they’re told!”

“I’m not a whore,” she whispers, tears silently running down her cheeks.

“Well you’re certainly not a princess any more love. Have it your way. We shall see what you’re willing to do tomorrow for the price of freedom. Oh, and for your insolence, you will go without meals today.”

He stomps out of the room, slamming the heavy wooden door shut behind him and leaving the girl to cry in a heap on the floor once more.