Chapter 14

Shae and I lead the way down a dark, muddy pathway. The trees twist overhead almost as if they have a life of their own and I could swear that I keep seeing the branches moving in my peripheral. I shake the thought off. Don’t be ridiculous; trees can’t be alive, I think to myself. Then my mind wanders back to Shae’s explanation of where we’re going and then I realize that it could be entirely possible. I’m not in Avonzia anymore. Less than a week ago I didn’t even know magic was still being practiced and I’ve seen so much already since then.

The path narrows and the group slows down, the men having to switch to single file instead. The branches press down from above, thorns catching on my jacket and tangling in Shae’s long, wavy hair every couple of paces.

“Looks like we walk for the rest of the way,” I announce as I free her golden locks from the grasp of the spiny branch. I dismount Taric and lead him by the reigns. It’s a good thing too because the path turns into a step descent, made treacherous by a thick layer of mud that slides underfoot.

On our way down, the horses are voicing their displeasure, as well as the men. A couple of men fall with a crash, the only thing saving them being a conveniently placed tree trunk. I grip onto Taric, my legs not as steady as I would like them to be.

“Are you alright?” Shae asks from next to me.

“Yes, I’m quite alright,” I respond with a smile. She looks at me sideways, obviously not buying a word of it. “Just a bit stiff, that’s all,” I add.

“We can stop and rest if you like, though we’re almost there,” she says, glancing up at the sky. Dark clouds swirl overhead as the trees start to thin out. Flashes illuminate the sky, followed by loud booms that shake me to the core. As I scan the sky, I think I see a moving shape, lit up for only a split second before being plunged into darkness again.

“Did you see…”

“Yes. It was most likely a dragon,” Shae answers in an offhand tone with a shrug of her shoulders. A couple of the men directly behind us stare with open, white eyes as they too look to the heavens. I can practically hear them shaking in their armor. So much for the strongest, bravest men in the kingdom, I think sourly. All I can hope is that they will be able to keep Shae safe from whatever is awaiting us.

The slope evens out and all I can see in front of us is a tall, stone wall, running as far as the eye can see both ways. We come to a standstill, looking at this looming sight before us. I wouldn’t even hazard a guess at how high it is, but I have to lean my head back to see the top. I catch a glimpse of some large spikes that sit there and my heart practically stops beating. Around ten spikes and all of them have something attached to the top.

“It can’t be,” I mutter, glued to the spot and waiting for another flash to confirm what I thought I saw. It comes within seconds, lighting up the faces of the men and women’s heads that are speared onto the wooden stakes, their faces frozen in grimaces of pain and anguish. A man next to me, seeing the same, turns and vomits loudly and violently into the shrubbery.

“And may the violators be violated,” Shae says in a monotone voice. I turn to see her regarding the sight, her face void of any expression.

“What did you say?”

“It’s one of their mottos so to speak. The men of this territory are known to never forgive or forget. If you violate any of their rules, then they will violate you in every way possible.” I look at her with an open mouth. How could people live under this kind of rule? “Thieves, the dishonest, thieves, dark witches and warlocks, and anything else that you can think of that’s evil live beyond this wall.”

I hear hooves next to me and turn to see Hector back on his horse and sitting tall and proud, seemingly unfazed by the beheaded victims.

“Sir,” he acknowledges me with the tip of his spear. “I don’t see a gate. I can send scouts to ride down the wall to look for an entrance?”