Chapter Nine

With a heavy and sad heart,Cassie got out of bed the next morning,to do her business in the bathroom. After what happened last night with her mother,she had tossed and turned through out the night,thinking about what her mother wanted to say last night.

Beatrice must have a reason for treating her like that. Maybe her dad.... No,her daddy is a good man,he'd never hurt Beatrice intentionally. Whatever reason Beatrice had for mis-treating her,Cassie believe that her father was not the reason.

Yawning,Cassie walked out of the bathroom as she pondered on what she'd do today. If she's going to find a job,she better start preparing from now. First she'll list the companies she knew in downtown, then she'd write applications to them,then she'd wait.

As for the flower shop,she'd sell it out.

Cassie was about to sit on her bed when she saw the brown envelope Josephine gave her yesterday. Curious as to what could be inside,she reached for it,sat on the bed,before tearing it open. A smaller envelope and a slip of paper fell on the bed.

She narrowed her eyes at the envelope. What could be inside?

Dropping the envelope on the bed,she regarded the paper with a solemn face. But the solemn look morphed into anger when she saw what was written on the paper. Cassie hissed as she opened the smaller envelope. Sure enough money was inside it. She stared at the money while she contemplated on what to do.

Should she just accept the outrageous money or should she return it and make that bastard swallow his words?

Cassie looked up from the envelope when the door to her room opened. Beatrice stood in the door way,dressed in a long red off-shoulder gown,with her hair styled into a French twist and face covered in make-up. Cassie was not surprised about her mother's dress since Beatrice wore whatever she liked. What really surprised her was the fact that her mother was standing in her door way for the first time in four years.

That's a miracle.

"Good morning." Beatrice stepped further into the room.

"Good morning." Cassie replied.

The two of them stared at each other without saying anything. While Cassie's face showed her surprise,Beatrice face showed her uncertainty. The silence was so long that Cassie started feeling uncomfortable. When she could take the staring contest no more,she sighed before looking down at the envelope in her hand.

"Why are you here Beatrice?"

"I am going out."

"Spare the both of us from arguing this morning." Cassie lift her head up to find Beatrice standing in front of her.

"I am not here to argue with you." Beatrice picked the slip of paper.

"Give that back." Cassie lunged for the paper but Beatrice stepped to the left and Cassie careened forward. She hit the floor with a solid thump. "Ouch!"

"Come to La serenade today by six pm,I want to have dinner with you. And the money in the envelope is for the flowers and for you to buy something to wear, Kaden Mckade." Beatrice read aloud with her face beaming with approval. "I knew something was up when you answered the door yesterday. Mckade wants you to come to dinner with him,isn't that interesting?"