Chapter 8

Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. I will have another one for you next Friday. Have a great weekend. :)

(Emma)

Something soft brushing across my cheek woke me from my sleep, the next morning. I opened my gritty eyes to find Ben hovering over me, his hand on my cheek. His touch was warm, gentle. I rubbed my cheek against his hand. He quickly moved away from the bed.

"It's time to get up," he informed me in a gruff voice. "I ordered breakfast. It will be here soon. I suggest you get yourself together before it arrives because once we're done eating we're leaving. If you're not ready, you will get left behind."

I held back a sigh and slipped out of bed. The caring Ben from last night was gone and the cold Ben was back. The next few days were going to be a nightmare. I gathered up my things and went into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. Leaning against it, I took a deep breath.

"You can do this, Emma," I told myself softly. "No matter what he throws at you, you got this. Just keep breathing and above all else remain calm. Don't let him get under your skin."

By the time I emerged from the bathroom ready to start the day breakfast had arrived. I sat down at the table with Ben and poured a cup of coffee, taking a drink of the steaming liquid. The caffeine was a much needed jolt to my system.

"Eat, Emma," Ben ordered me.

"I have every intention of eating," I said, putting down my cup. "You don't need to order me around as though I was a child."

"I was not ordering you around like a child," he stated.

"It sure seemed like it."

Ben sighed. "It's too early to argue."

"I never want to-"

"I have an idea," he said. "Why don't we eat in silence?"

"You are the boss," I muttered.

"Yes, I am." Ben smirked. "Don't forget it."

"I'm sure you won't let me," I pointed out.

He quirked an eyebrow. "What happened to eating in silence?"

It was on the tip of my tongue to tell him what he could do with his silence. I resisted the urge, picked up a fork, and dug into my breakfast.

Less than an hour later, Ben and I were in the car heading to our first location of the day. We were meeting with a realtor to look at some property for a department store. With stores in the U.S., Canada, and even London, Wellston's were known for their men's clothing.

While Ben read his messages I checked in with Rosalind to see how she was doing. She assured me everything was fine, and she would call if she had any questions. Satisfied that Alan would be taken care of, I shoved all thoughts of him to the back of my mind.

"Either turn your phone off or switch it to vibrate," Ben said, slipping his phone in his pocket. "I don't like-"

"You don't like interruptions of any kind while doing business," I finished for him. "I know that. Anita told me."