Chapter 38

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT💟

Gemma's pov

*two weeks later*

I had found it exceedingly difficult to fall asleep every night since Luke told me he was applying for another job.

The only thing I can assume is that we're having money problems. Luke always watched our money and suddenly he wants an extra job.

I had been watching how much I spent like my life depended on it.

I was walking everywhere. I had to leave forty-five minutes early just to get to school on time.

I had spoken to Luke multiple times about me getting a job but he refused. He says that he's going to take online courses once he leaves school but he doesn't want a job to take my attention away from my studies. I did have hopes to go to university and Luke knows that which is why he doesn't want me to find a distraction.

Luke and I would usually order pizza on a Thursday night because he works slightly later than usual but this time I made us sandwiches.

"We can still afford pizza every now and again. You know that, right? And if we order it from where Michael works he'll use his employee discount-"
"Luke, I'm trying to show you we can survive without you working two jobs!"
He laughed, "It's because I want to, not because I have to!"

"I won't go to uni after I leave West Ridge. There's less money to spend already."
"Oh hell no!" He laughed again slightly, "You're going. You're going to get accepted, you're going to go there, you're going to get a higher education and you're going to achieve everything you want to achieve!"
"Luke, there's nothing wrong with not going to university."
"I know that, but I also know that you want to."

"Bu-"
"Shut up. You're going. You don't need a part-time job on top of school."

"But Luke, if we need money then honestly it-"
"Gemma. We are fine! I'm going to bed."

I followed shortly after Luke. After turning out every light and turning every electrical appliance off at the switch on the wall to save money.

Luke was out like a light within ten minutes. I, however, remained tossing and turning.

I wanted to sleep. But when I closed my eyes, I physically couldn't get to sleep.

I had finally gotten to sleep after what felt like hours when I was woken by something vibrating on the night stand. Usually, something like that wouldn't wake me, but because I wasn't asleep long, I awoke instantly.

Luke groaned slightly before swinging his legs off the end of the bed, sitting up and turning off the buzzing. It was an alarm on his phone.

Luke got up out of the bed, changed his shirt, put on a pair of jeans and a beanie and began to leave the bedroom.

"Luke, where are you going?"
"Work." He replied.

"What about school?"
"I'll meet you there." He groaned slightly, rubbing his eyes and leaving.

I figured that it was time to get up for school since Luke was leaving for his new job until I looked at the clock on the other side of the bed.

It was four in the morning.

I dragged myself out of bed fairly quickly to go after Luke but stood up too fast and found myself slightly dizzy.

When I reached the front door, he had already driven off.

--

I was locking the apartment door to head to school when a car beeped its horn.

"Gemma Carter. What are you doing still walking to school?"