five

jon stands against the kitchen counter, thoughts on romance. he's completely spaced out, and can barely hear his name being called.

"jon...?"

still nothing.

"jon!"

he snaps out of it and turns to face rusty.

"do you know a safe way to gain weight? i'm auditioning for an art movie," he tells jon.

"i... no... sorry," the blond responds.

thomas walks into the kitchen. "hey, jon! me and rusty and some other friends are getting some food later. want to join us?"

jon looks uneasy. he has his callback tonight, causing him to shake his head. "i can't, sorry. but thanks. another night."

he shoves past rusty and thomas and retreats to his room, locking the door behind him. jon runs a hand through his hair as he looks in the mirror anxiously.

he had three hours until he had to be at the audition building.

he closes his blinds and goes to take a shower.

-

the audition is in a huge burbank building. as jon approaches the door, his cell rings. it's his mom- he's happy to get the call.

"hi, mom!" he smiles, opening the door.

"hi, sweetie, how are you?"

"great, actually. i got a callback on a pilot."

she gasps loudly. "oh my god! you're going to be on tv?"

"well- it's not picked up yet." he feels his voice falling with disappointment. saying it out loud lessens the excitement.

"not picked up?" she responds, puzzled.

"first they make the pilot, then if they like the pilot it goes on tv."

"and you're in the pilot?"

"well, no, i have a callback." he steps into the elevator.

"i see..." she says. "didn't you audition for a tv thing last week?"

"it's another audition."

"i see... so you might get a role in a thing that might one day be put on tv..."

jon rolls his eyes. "well when you put it like that it sounds like a huge accomplishment."

"no, i don't mean that, it's so exciting. what channel? abc? nbc?"

"oxygen."

"oxygen?" his mom repeats, clearly having never heard of that.

jon steps off of the elevator, growing tired of the phone call. "you know what, actually, i have to go. i love you."

he hangs up the phone.

jon takes a seat in the waiting room, and starts reviewing his script. he looks around him- the room is filled with actors and actresses silently mouthing their lines. it's a bizarre sight: a dozen people moving their mouths with no sounds coming out.

the door creaks open, the casting assistant leaning out of the permitted crack.

"jon cozart?"