Pixie Chapter 1

It was a normal day in Woodsville. The sun's shining bright and hot so she just had to buy a shake. The room was packed, the play area full of loud-mouthed kids.

                Andrea took up a table near the back, closer to the fan and away from the giggling girls seated near the glass doors of the Sweet Smiles Café. As she took a large gulp of her very very cold strawberry-flavored drink she scanned the remains of her bag looking for her apartment keys. She’d just come out from work; it’s a weekend so she pulled extra shifts. You gotta work to pay the bills after all especially now that she enrolled for a few units in the public university nearby. Few as it may they still cost a lot.

                A cry rose near my table. A young mother rocked her baby back and forth, holding the little girl close to her chest as she shushed it back to sleep while wiping sweat from her forehead but the kid didn’t show any sign of stopping anytime soon. Child sweat and the sweet smell of the sugar-filled delights filled the low-ceilinged café. Andrea saw the girl eyeing the miniature statue of liberty clipped to her bag. Unclipping the tag she leaned near the girl and stretched her hands, palms-up, and the tag lay on her palms. She smiled an encouragement when the kid hesitated looking from the tag to her mommy then at her. Small soft hands closed around the statue’s arm and she brought it to her chest. She smiled toothily at Andrea then buried her small head on her mother’s neck momentarily silenced forgetting her wailing just moment ago. The mother looked at her gratefully and mouthed a thank you and Andrea nodded smiling.

                She was thinking of buying a big blue teddy bear for one of the kids at the Center whose birthday was this Tuesday when someone sat across her. Driven from her thoughts, Andrea recognized the cute guy who’d recently been occupying one of the stools when she came in.

“Mind if I join you?” he asked. A black brow rose.

“Not really,” she smiled.

He was cute, handsome even but she wasn’t interested. She hasn’t been interested in any guy lately. Except blondes with blue eyed guys who constantly appeared wherever she was. She shook the disturbing thought aside.

“Sam.” He stretched a hand. He had very black hair and a pair of gentle black eyes. He wore jeans and a plain shirt but even that seemed to make him more attractive.

“Andrea,” she returned, reaching over. He kept the hand shake longer than necessary but eventually released her.

A waitress arrived and set down a glass of iced tea, winked at him then sauntered off adding more effort to the sway of her hips. Two brows rose, and Andrea’s mouth twitched a little as she looked at him.

He grinned cheekily at her. “I’m the ladies man,” he added.

Andrea chuckled, “Yeah, I bet you are.” But I won’t be one of your ladies.

"So can I buy you a drink?”

“Already have one and if your thinking of nasty stuff, forget it, I don’t drink and get drunk with strangers,” she said grinning.

“Ah-ha. I think I can fix that. How ‘bout dinner instead? So I won’t be classified as a ‘stranger’,” he invited as he leaned on his folded arms on the table.

“Nice try but no, sorry,” Andrea answered, grinning still. He had this charismatic aura that doesn’t really give off a red alert.

"Aw, damn,” he said good-naturedly, “why are all the good ones taken?”

She would have said something but her phone rang. “Excuse me,” she said but she already missed the call.

                She was checking for messages on her phone when high-pitched giggles reached her, lifting her head she scanned the room and immediately fell on an a familiar dirty blond and blue eyed hunk who just walked in. Blue eyes that she always thought saw too much pierced through her and a pleasure-filled shiver ran through her. What the hell was he doing here?