CHAPTER 4: Nightfall

I LOOKED TOWARDS THE OPEN SEA on the other side of the coastal road. The horizon stretched endlessly, a vast expanse of blue merging with the sky. Closing my eyes, I let the warm, salty breeze wash over me. It carried the scent of the ocean, mingling with the fresh and untouched essence of nature, far removed from the chaos of modern civilization.

I took a deep breath, inhaling the purity of the moment, hoping it would calm my restless nerves. Each breath seemed to draw in a piece of the serenity around me, filling me with a sense of peace I desperately needed.

But then, as if waking from a dream, I felt a gentle touch on my hand. My eyes flew open, startled. It was Mariz. She stood beside me, her presence grounding me in reality. Her smile was warm and reassuring, devoid of the sinister edge that had haunted my memories.

For a moment, I simply stared at her, the sea breeze tousling her hair, the sunlight casting a gentle glow on her face. Her eyes, once cold and calculating, now held a softness, a trust that was almost disarming. I squeezed her hand in response, feeling a surge of gratitude and something more—a sense of solidarity. We stood there together, two souls finding a brief respite in each other's company, against the backdrop of the vast, unending sea.

"Calm down." she said.

"Easy for you to say, you're not the one fighting in a duel." I snapped at her. She rolled her eyes and squeezed my hand tighter.

"Who's the идиот [idiot] who offered the duel anyway, hmm?" she raised her brow. Hah! Did she just call me idiot? Okay, fine! I deserve it, but I don't have to hear it from another person. Of course, I know I'm an idiot.

I dismissed her waving my hand at her face. "Don't patronize me." I took a deep breath once again. The headmistress told us that the duel will commence at 4pm. Other information were given to us 2 hours prior stating the location and appropriate attire. Thus, we are already on the way to the specified location riding the golf cart. Mariz's bodyguard is the one driving it. I honestly don't have any idea what part of the island is the location, but base from my observations we are so far from the Den and Main Square. My hunch tells me that we are on the other side of the island.

The remaining minutes of the ride were quiet. I preferred it that way, honestly. Silence was what I needed to clear my head before the duel. The weight of what lay ahead pressed heavily on my mind, and the absence of words was a small comfort.

Mariz stayed quiet too, her presence a steady, silent companion. She held my hand throughout the journey, a gesture that was both grounding and perplexing. I didn't mind as long as she remained quiet. Her silence gave me space to think, to steel myself for what was to come.

The cart trundled along the coastal road, the rhythmic creaking of its wheels blending with the distant murmur of the sea. Each minute felt like an eternity, yet I knew time was slipping away, bringing me closer to the inevitable confrontation.

A few minutes more, and we finally stopped. I stepped off the cart, my feet hitting the ground with a sense of finality. I looked around, taking in the desolate surroundings. We were in the middle of nowhere, the cart having come to a halt on the coastal road. The vast, empty landscape stretched out before me, a stark contrast to the tension that filled my mind.

Is this even the right place? The question echoed in my thoughts as I surveyed the barren scene. There were no landmarks, no signs to indicate that this was where the duel was meant to happen. Just the endless road and the distant sound of waves crashing against the shore.

Doubt began to creep in, mingling with the adrenaline coursing through my veins. Had we made a mistake? Was this a trap? Or perhaps this empty expanse was intentional, a deliberate choice to isolate us from the world, to ensure our confrontation would go unnoticed and uninterrupted.