CHAPTER 7: The First Day

AFTER A WEEK of anticipation, the day had finally arrived for the students to commence their classes. It was the first day of school, and the morning was filled with a wave of nostalgia, transporting me back to the cherished days of high school and college.

"We're wearing purple, Cleo, don't be confused."

"Huh?" I emerged from the depths of my walk-in closet, staring at Mariz, who was comfortably perched on the edge of my bed, sipping a coffee latte crafted by Jade, who was busy whipping up breakfast.

"Purple? I thought our uniforms were maroon," I said, bewildered, as I leafed through the handbook that clearly indicated our uniforms were maroon.

Mariz let out a sigh, her expression one of resigned patience. "Crystal must've forgotten to mention it. We wear purple during the warm seasons and maroon during the cold season," she explained, gesturing towards the array of uniforms hanging inside the closet, plainly visible through the clear cabinet doors.

"Why wear maroon then when we step foot in Magnus?" I asked, pulling the garment from its metal hanger. The uniform was identical to the maroon one.

"I honestly don't know," Mariz shrugged, taking another sip of her coffee latte. "I didn't do it when I arrive."

"By the way, where is your blazer?" I asked while trying to pull over the purple coat over my shoulders. Now that she mentioned it, she is not wearing a coat, only the inner blouse that is white.

"Draped on your couch." she jerked her thumb towards the couch. I nodded in reply.

"Kamahalan?" Jade called from the kitchen. "Shall I pack the macarons?" Right! Yesterday, I had planned to meet up with Dove's older brother but never got the chance, got caught up in other tasks. According to Jade, he had left them on my doorstep with a note suggesting we hang out for breakfast today.

"Why did you dye your hair with that color?" I asked as I approached the table where a man, two years older than me, looked up. He wore a simple shirt and jeans—casual for breakfast. Adjusting his glasses, he chuckled.

"Good morning to you too, Your Royal Highness," he greeted.

I rolled my eyes before taking a seat across from him. "Drop the honorifics, Dustin."

Dustin, Dove's older brother, was in his final year of his master's program. Over the years, we had grown quite close, with him always watching out for me like a diligent older brother. I wasn't sure what exactly he was studying, but I guessed it was something business-related.

He was tall, had tan skin, wore glasses, and was reliable. He also had a habit of dyeing his hair periodically. The last time I saw him, it was gray; now, it was a peculiar shade of brown.

"And you should have honorifics. I'm older than you, you're supposed to call me 'Kuya Dustin'"

"Yet you don't act your age." I smirked.

"Touché." he chuckled. "I was going to say you've changed, but never mind." he remarked before sipping from his cup of coffee.

"Kinuhanan na kita ng pagkain." he gestured the foods placed on top of the table. He got me waffles showered with maple syrup with a side of sliced blueberries and strawberries.

"I'm still shocked that you're fluent in Tagalog, yet my best friend's not." I said while sitting down. The dude didn't even bother pulling it out. What a gentleman. Dustin is fluent in Tagalog and learned it well from his father when he is around 15. Meanwhile, Dove and their youngest sister, Dream, is more affiliated with English. They understand and speak Tagalog, but not fluent.