Untitled Part 1

It was around 11 in the evening. The traffic which was usually non-existent at this time of the hour was still there. No traffic lights to guide cars. No police to get here yet because of the weather. No one walking the streets. The sky is crying. Or maybe the Gods are taking a piss. Whichever a person is more inclined to believe.

Rhaine, a twenty-five year old fact finder for a newspaper company just got off a phone call for a potential person she was looking for. She usually takes the train going home but since the electricity went out due to the weather, she'd be walking home instead.

As she walks and holds onto her umbrella from being blown away she notices something glint in the dark streets. Something she's seen shine several times since she was 15. She touches the pendant hanging on her collarbone as if wondering whether her pendant was there or where the glint was from.

The small rhinestone she got from that fortune teller ten years ago still hangs around her neck for no reason. She got it at the time of her lowest point in life. At the time when she was more than insecure. Her mother left them for their gardener that year. Her brother committed suicide. Oh and her poor father was never the same. He'd work and take care of her but there wasn't a hint of emotion left in him. It was a year ago that he died of a massive stroke. He might have even felt nothing as he breathed his last breath.

And now Rhaine is alone standing under the rain hoping for the best it won't blow her umbrella away. No vehicle is going to get past this traffic especially in this weather all the while the electricity is out. So her last option was to walk the two kilometers from her work to her house.

She was about two blocks away from her house when the wind blew so hard that her umbrella flipped and was blown out of her hand. She thought of running to catch up to the flying umbrella but then it would be useless since she's all wet now.

In that short span of time, a few seconds wasted thinking of running after the umbrella or run towards her house. She got drenched in the rain instead. With a sense of regret, she decided to make the most out of it and walked the rest of the way.

While walking and a few houses away from hers, she saw the same glint she saw earlier and the same glint she's seen those past years. Only this time, the glint had a human carrier. A human who was carrying her umbrella in their arm.

When they finally crossed each other's path, it was a guy. About her age, although he looked quite older than his age. Like there was an air of maturity in him.

"I think this would be yours." He hands the umbrella to her.

"It is. Thank you."

As if time slowed down, several things occurred in that short span of time. She took the umbrella, he nodded, there was the strike of lightning then the clap of a thunder then all lights left in this part of town went out. The pendant both hers and his glinted when the lighting strike. By the time the darkness enveloped them they continued their walk towards their own destination.

----

It has been two weeks since she had that dream of when she got the pendant. Since then, she's been dreaming about the time she encountered moments of when she would see the glint like her pendant does. She takes off her pendant and raises it up allowing the light coming in her window to give it a little light. Even though the pendant always seems to have its own light inside it.

Rhaine couldn't seem to stop thinking about how she got her pendant.

----

It was the day she decided to ditch her classes. She couldn't stand being in the same room with all her classmates. Even her teachers, really. Not after what happened. She called her father who was at his office that she wouldn't be attending school that day because she got the colds.