Chapter 1- "nobody lives there anymore"

Isla POV-

    I can't believe my parents had the audacity to ruin my life like this. How dare they move me across the damn country. Not only did I have to move during my high school years, but the SUMMER BEFORE MY SENIOR YEAR! Now I have to make new friends, and leave behind the friends I've known for all my life. I won't lie though, life in St. Louis was tough. Downtown, at that. There were all kinds of problems, that me, as a short and feisty, little 17 year old had to deal with.  And not just the normal, cliché teenage drama. But I don't wanna talk about it.  

    We left St Louis at exactly 7:15 am, on a warm summer morning. A Friday. The dew clung to the rims of our sweatpants, as my brother and I trudged through the front yard for the last time. Our neighbors couldn't care less that we were moving, in fact they hated us. They were probably popping a bottle of champagne as we pulled out of the driveway.  We drove down the familiar roads, a wave of sadness washing over the car. I recall a couple of salty tears, flying down my face as we passed my old middle school like it was yesterday. That's because it was. It was yesterday. In that moment, everything I had ever known was flying away at 30 miles per hour. And there was nothing I could do to stop it. I soon snap out of my sullen thoughts when my mom opened the door to my barren room "Isla, please get ready, we have things to do today." I rolled my eyes, "Whatever." I say, getting up to close the door that she had just rudely opened. My mother sighs, knowing that she caused my attitude. 

    I walk over to the box in the corner of my room, labeled Isla's clothes. I open it slowly, taking out a pair of ripped jeans and a t-shirt that said flawless. haha I wish I was flawless. I brush a curly strand out of my face before removing the comfy sweatshirt I have refused to take off since we made it here to California. It was a sweatshirt from my old high school. It had the head of an eagle on the front with the words 'Harding High' .  I fight the urge to cry, as I head to my bathroom. Luckily, when I look at myself in the shining mirror, my shirt was just plain grey, because if it had anything to do with St. Louis I might have broke down and cried. I  almost never cry. I turn on the shower and proceed removing the rest of my clothes. I step into the warm shower, instantly sighing at the satisfying temperature of the water. An hour, or maybe a few minutes pass, I'm honestly not sure which one, and I grudgingly get out of the shower; drying myself with the the only towel I could find. 

     I get dressed, not once breaking eye contact with myself in the cloudy mirror. That is until I search for the makeup bag I was sure  I put under the sink last night when we arrived.  I finally find it, but not under the sink, in the linen closet. I unzip it quickly, eager to conceal the luggage under my eyes. I don't wear much makeup, but there are days when it's absolutely necessary. I pull out my small container of concealer and beauty blender and apply small amounts of under my eyes. After that all I do is coat my lashes with a few layers of mascara and put on some chapstick. With the final touch of my magic-working hair brush, I walk out of the foggy bathroom, satisfied with my look. Although, I'm genuinely confused as to why my hair didn't rebel against my brush, considering the humidity I shrug it off as I plop onto the hardwood floor. Yes floor, the delivery truck hasn't come yet. Ugh.  I pick up my phone that was sitting on the floor charging. I have so many texts and notifications, it's insane. I don't know why though. I open the text from my best friend, Lori.  

Lori👯-Hey wanna come over today? 

I couldn't tell her I was moving...it's a very long story. But I guess it won't hurt to tell her now. She's gonna hate me. But there was nothing I could do..

I'm sorry I can't..

Lori👯- fym u have no life, just come on