Chapter 9

Mirai blinked back tears as she pushed her way past the bustling crowds of the Market Square. The hole world seemed silent to her as she struggled to hold back tears that were threatening to spill out. Stepping into an abandoned alley, Mirai pulled her hood tightly over her head and swiftly leaped onto the nearby rooftops. Deciding to lay low, until sundown, she began to make her way across the city, by rooftop, of course.

~~~~~~~~~Time Skip~~~~~~~~~~~

The last of the sun's rays slipped under the horizon as Mirai finally reached the outskirts of the city. She had been aware of the demon following her but wasn't quite bothered yet to fully acknowledge his presence. What she wasn't so sure was why he hadn't attacked her when she wasn't alert and guarded earlier on. She wouldn't have minded actually, she would've welcomed it actually. Dying didn't seem so bad since Melina had been murdered, by her own hands and thanks to her own stupidness and brashness. Grief welled up inside her as she jumped off the roof, her boots kicking up some dust as she landed. Dusting herself off, she casually slid out a knife and waltzed towards the shadow that definitely had to hide that insufferable idiot of demon. 'Calicaaaas~' she drawled. She would definitely get revenge, for Melina, her maker, her master, her friend.

A head popped out around the corner. Calicos grinned, one full of bloodlust and excitedness. the familiar sound of a sword being drawn from its sheath reached Mirai's ears as she met his grin with a snarl. Yes, she would definitely get revenge, and after that, she would go on, killing everything and everyone in her way.

She met his first strike in midair, catching the tip of his blade of the hilt of her knife, pulling her knife back, she landed on the ground, a good meter away from him. Drawing a serrated dagger, she lunged again, slicing a deep cut in his shoulder. She did't get away unscathed though, as a long cut now ran down her face, from her cheek down to her collarbone. Being an android and all, Mirai didn't have blood but as her artificial skin was ripped open by his sword, pain seared in her face. Gritting her teeth, she slashed sideways, aiming for a clean cut to the stomach. Calicas twisted away and parried, just in time too, her blade just a hair's breadth from his body. Blood pooled around her, all Calicas's of course, but he didn't seem to affected by it. The wound was already stitching itself together, another thing to add to her list of 'Annoying Traits and Abilities of Demons'. Pausing for a moment, she stood there, contemplating her next strike while Calicas looked at her in amusement. Mirai glanced at him and was shocked to find that he wasn't even winded. In that split second of shock, he struck, a good move too, feinting to the left then bring the sword down to her right side. The edge ripped into her body as she attempted to curve away from the blade. She slammed into the floor, shuddering as her circuiting finally decided to give out. Electric currents ran down her body as she continued shuddering. Calicas laughed as he stuck his sword into the dirt.

'I can't believe I thought you were 'strong' and even more, that Her Majesty thought you were a threat!' he threw his head back as his laughter dissipated in the air. Walking away, he laughed again and melted into the shadows, probably to report to that damned Queen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Time Skip~~~~~~~~~~~~

When morning came, Mirai was still lying there, she had managed to reprogram most of herself with the control she had left, she all she needed now, was to raid a convenient tool shop for some spare wires and parts. Except...for the fact that she was in no shape to get up, or to raid a tool shop. So she just lay there, trying her best to fix the wires now protruding from her side. At one point, she finally slipped into sleep and finally rested for the first time since Melina's death.