2 7 - Silent Sudden Spark

"You can walk, right?" The doctor asks and I nod. After two days of being bed bound, I was ready to get up and walk around. No one was allowed to see me or anything just because I needed, 'rest'.

"I can walk." I say. I've been able to walk this whole time and no one believed me. They said I'd put extra stress on the leg and that I'm still delusional – when I am not! Idiots calling themselves 'doctors'.

"Ms Hyde, take it slow. Lean on me."

"I said I can walk. Why won't you listen? I've been able to walk this whole time, but you guys kept telling me to 'Stay in bed'!" I half yelled and the lady looked startled.

"Sorry." I say. "I'm delusional." I mutter.

I let the doctor 'help' me outside into the room I woke up in two days ago. I sat on the sofa and the doctor nodded, proud of her work. "Ok then," she says, "You sit tight and I'll call your friends for you."

"Ok, thank you."She leaves the room by shutting the door and I sigh into the pillow. What has my life come to? All this superhero action is killing me.

"Melissaaa!"

Throwback to 2 days ago.

"Bryn!"

"How are you?"

"I'm f-"

"Are you ok? Does it still hurt? Do you need-"

"I was going to say, 'I'm fine' but you carried on! Bryn, I'm fine. I'm much better."

"Good." She walks around to come sit beside me.

"So what have you been doing this whole time we were...away." I say casually and she turns her head.

"Well, obviously, the whole time I was depressed; my best friend was missing. Sometimes, I went in the meetings with everyone to see if they know how to find you or anything. The rest of the times, I sat and thought of...nothing. I couldn't do anything to help find you so I was useless."

"Don't say you were useless, you idiot." I say and she laughs. A wisp of her ginger hair falls forward as she moves on the sofa beside me. She stares into my eyes and smiles.

"Connor was with me the whole time. Even he was depressed, come to think of it. Unlike me, he was in the meetings every day. Wait, sometimes, he was the one who called the meetings to happen. He thought he could search everything to find a way to get to you guys. He even offered to go back to space to look, but they turned him down and told him it was pointless. The guy was running around the whole time looking for something to do. The only time he sat down, was the moment you guys were found – and even then he wanted to do something more."

I was speechless. The whole time I was listening with my mouth open and my eyes wide. He did that for us? All of that?

"Why did he do all of that?"

"He wanted to find you guys. It's like you said, anyone would feel bad for leaving someone behind. Anyone with a heart, that is."

"Well, where is he? I wanna see him. Thank him, too."

"I'll go get him." She says. "Wait, 2 seconds." I nod and she walks out of the room and slams the door shut. I think she ran down the corridor and back because when she came back, she was gasping for air.

"Bryn, what the hell?" I ask and she slams the door.

"Sorry, got a little excited." She says and she sits next to me. We both sit in silence. I look at the door and back to her face multiple times, yet she sits there staring into my face. I blinked a couple of times and raised my hand towards the door.