prelude

I awoke gasping for as much air as my lungs could hold. Inhaling and exhaling deeply, my breath began to become steady. I focus on the rise and fall of my chest. My body is covered in sweat. I look down and feel my pillow. The pillowcase was damp from perspiration and the sheets were scrunched in folds. The comforter was looked scraggly. I look around the room. Everything is silent and nothing has changed. The room looks the same and slowly feels more safe. Eggsy turns to the side of his body and wraps the cover around himself. I prop myself up and sit on the side of the bed. I glanced at the ceiling staring at the smooth surface. Then, my eyes drift to the alarm clock on the nightstand. The black face brightly displaces 4:42 A.M. in blue. 

     Gradually, I walk away from the bed and head towards the bathroom. Flicking the light switch on, I lean on the counter and gaze into the mirror. A weary reflection stares back at me. My eyes are slightly bloodshot and my face is drained with color. I notice that I'm slumping and fix my posture. I quickly splashed my face with water and grabbed the closest towel on the rack. 

     Slowly, I trudged back to the bedroom. I plopped onto the bed and Eggsy stayed still. I slid under the covers letting my thoughts wander into my head. After a few minutes, I decide to go to finally sleep. At the same time, he turns to face me and rubs his eyes. I turn my head and see his eyes meet mine.

          "Hey, " He murmurs softly.

          "Hi," I reply starting to feel sleepy again.

          "Another sleepless night?" He questions still looking at me.

          "Kind of," I answer back, "It was more like a bad dream, but it's alright now."

          "Well, I hope you sleep in love," Eggsy responds pulling me towards his chest.

          "I hope so too," I whisper barely audible.

     As I close my eyes, once again, I can feel the tiredness throughout my body. All of my body felt heavy. Finally, my eyes feel droopy and weighed down. Thoughts stopped swirling around in my mind and I finally felt completely safe again.