Chapter 6

“Ahem,” coughs the guard standing directly outside of our cell. I look up, and so does Harry as the police officer stares us down seriously. It was the same one who brought us in. I guess he’s the day shift. “I am here to inform you that the phone is currently being fixed. It should be ready for use in the next hour. You are permitted one phone call.”

I couldn’t help the smile from forming on my face. This is the first good thing that’s happened in the past eleven hours.

“Really!?” I squeal excitedly. The guard rolls his eyes.

“Yes.”

Then he walked away.

“This is awesome,” I say to Harry, a small smile still fixed on my lips.

“Yeah, wonderful,” he states deprecatingly. My smile flattens into a thin line while he glances at me.

“Don’t sound too excited there,” I say sarcastically. “Why do you have to ruin all my happiness?”

He shrugs. “It’s not that exciting. Sorry.”

“I could get bailed out. We could get bailed out. How is that not exciting?”

“If anyone’s getting bailed out, it’s you. No one would care if I rotted in jail for the rest of my life,” he says as if this is no big deal. He didn’t even look at me as he spoke, and I couldn’t help but feel a sense of pity.

“Your family?” I try.

“I already explained about my parents. They don’t care. And my sister has her own stuff going on. No time for me.”

“What about your grandparents? Didn’t they pay for you to go to college?”

He was quiet for a long moment.

“They did,” he finally says. “But…I can’t stress them out right now.”

“Why? Because they’re old?”

He rolls his eyes. “Yes, they’re old. Of course they’re old. But not just that. My grandmother has been in the hospital for some time now. I can’t tell them I’m in trouble. It’ll probably kill her.”

I bit my lip. If I wasn’t feeling pity before, I sure was feeling it now.

“I’m sorry,” I tell him, unsure of what else to say.

“Don’t be,” he says, waving it off. “I’m used to not having anyone to call. It’s nothing new for me.”

“That’s kind of sad,” I blurt out before I could think it through. “And I don’t mean it to be cruel. It’s just sad…that no one would come to your rescue when you need them most. I’m sure you would be there for someone else, right? They should be there for you.”