Chapter 18

It was the phone call that changed everything. I had been listening in on Stefan and Elena's conversation, not having anything better to do, when the phone had rung. I'd regretfully stopped the snooping and had picked up the phone.

"Salvatore Boarding House, the handsomer brother speaking. What do you need?" I asked, a smile forming on my lips.

"More like the Devil," a voice said from the other end of the phone. "Could you call Stefan over and put the phone on speaker? It's urgent."

"Why? Does the thought of speaking to me all alone on the phone scare you?" I questioned knowing that this was the only entertainment I was going to be getting these days.

"Damon, just go get Stefan. Listen to me for once in your life." Sherry said, demanding and bossy as always. I rolled my eyes because hadn't I been doing just that ever since I'd met her? All I'm saying is that my life had been so much better and a lot simpler before I'd met her.

"Can't. Stefan's busy right now. He's with Elena," I replied, satisfied that she wouldn't be getting what she'd asked for.

"Wait, he's with Elena? As in she's over at your place right now?" Sherry sounded panicked and I couldn't help but feel alerted by the slight hint of an edge in her voice.

"Yeah, is there a problem?"

"No. Just...stay with your brother and make sure she doesn't leave."

"Why?" I had the feeling that there was something important, something big that she wasn't telling me. "What are you hiding from me?"

"Look, just do as I say, alright? Please, Damon. I'll explain everything when I get back, I promise." It wasn't an order this time, it was a request, and I found myself nodding my head despite myself. Sherry's voice had softened. She had pleaded with me and something in me had just agreed to go with it. It was like she'd somehow managed to break down a wall within me that I hadn't even known had existed.

"Fine, I'll do it," I said, and heard a sigh from her.

"Thank you," she said before hanging up, "I'll be there as soon as I can be."

I figured out that since I now had permission from some random human, I could go into Stefan's room and spy on them up close.

"So what is up with my brother and the girl he has a crazy crush on?" I raised my voice as I entered the room.

"Damon," Stefan narrowed his eyes at me. "What are you doing?"

"Oh nothing much," I replied with a shrug, "Just looking after my baby bro, like I always do." Elena raised her eyebrows at that one.

"Well why don't you come and sit with us, Damon. Maybe we can talk a little bit." Elena said. I was delighted by her offer but it did come across as a little weird considering how badly my brother didn't want me to be there.

"Of course," I went to sit next to Elena and she flashed me a pretty little smile. I was about to comment when something about her struck me as odd. It was her eyes. There was a familiar sort of fire in them, one that could burn, instead of that sweet innocence that I was used to seeing.

But it couldn't be her. Katherine was still in that tomb, and I had to rescue her. Still. I held her gaze, emotions, wants, needs suddenly flaring up inside me. I had buried them deep underneath for so long that I knew that they could only come out in the presence of that one special person. This wasn't her though. It couldn't be.

That's what I thought until she proved me wrong. "You still haven't recognised me, have you?" I knew that sultry voice with that seductive tone to it. It always made me feel on edge. Made me flush up with heat.

"Katherine."