Chapter 18: "Friendship"

January is ending, and I'm already in the new year by a few weeks

Fuck this actually. I'm not ready to adult

I wanna curl up and hide with my dog while I watch YouTube and sip hot drinks, is that too much to ask?

No, from the time you are born you are forced to do things. Talk, act, socialize. Once you take your first breath you are brought into the reality that your life will and always will be built around pleasing other people. The fact that my own sanity and selfish needs are mere tiny marbles in my grand bowl of issues, baffles me.

Okay I got a bit too deep back there

Rewind it Y/n.

I had to go outside to my job today, which involved actually communicating with the outside world.

Scarier than any horror movie.

I noticed a few new employees walking around, carting around cups of coffee and papers. I didn't exactly recall hiring anyone knew, or my superiors going over new recruits. Who hires over the holidays?

Usually they have some kind of party for them, but I guess since the holidays ended, it doesn't matter.

One employee that caught my eye, had really clean cut short purple hair- clearly dyed. The woman wore a buttoned up green flannel, black skinny jeans and had silver gages that were about average size. Her cute hipster glasses almost fell off her nose as she bent down to pick up papers from the file cabinet.

She looked professional, but subtle.

That's my kind of style.

I watched her walk by, not doing anything. I don't know why, I just

Froze.

Sitting down at my desk, I opened a folder and arranged some papers, occasionally glancing over at the girl. I wasn't exactly sure what put me off, but I had no confidence. I didn't feel like I could actually go over there and just say hi.

I grew anxious. The butterflies in my stomach grew tenfold.

What's wrong with me? Usually I can make friends. I don't find them often, they come to me.

I swallowed what little pride I had, getting up from my seat.

No, my social anxiety wasn't going to get the best of me today.

Trotting slowly up to her, I cleared my throat and

"H-hi! Are you new here?"

Completely failed

I stuttered my entire way through the conversation, laughing sheepishly at my mistakes. The girl looked up at me, nodding slightly. Her head leaned to the side, puzzled.

"Yes, I just got the job today. Names Saskia. Yours?"

She seemed calm, her voice was quite lovely in fact. Upon closer examination, she had light blue eyes.

I froze again, forgetting my name.

"Ah! Yea it's, um, Y/n. Pleased to meet you."