Chapter 13

"Well, uh, shall we dance?"

No, no, no. This cannot be real. This cannot be happening. This is not good. This is horrible. Embarrassing.

My cheeks were the same color as my dress at this point, as I stared back at Beck, feeling my head start to shake.

Dance.

Me?

Dance.

There's no way in hell. I didn't think this through...

"What are you so afraid of, stupid?"

I narrowed my eyes. He did not just-- whoa!!

Beck took advantage of my distraction, pulling my arm quickly and forcefully to the middle of the dance floor. I let out a squeal, covering my mouth in embarrassment when I realized that the pathetic sound came from me. When Beck threatened to laugh at me, I shot him daggers with my eyes.

"I hope you're happy, I embarrassed myself," I growled, as he spun me around.

"What? That was never my goal. I just wanted to dance with you," his smile was devious, and I wanted to be angry, but I felt my heart rate pick up.

His hand went to my hip, dangerously low, and I felt my cheeks burning hot. Beck.... what in the world are you doing?

Just when I think it couldn't get worse, he leaned in. The blood drained my face and I squeeze my eyes shut, my heart in my throat. I waited for something to happen, when I heard him talking in my ear.

"Follow me. Do what I do. No questions," he whispered, his hot breath tickling my neck.

What? Is there something wrong? What's going on? I looked around in panic for a moment, trying to ready myself for any potential danger. But I soon realized that this wasn't what he meant by follow him. He grabbed my hand and we danced. It was a blur, but I remember his hands on my bare back and on my low waist.  I remember his cheek brushing up against mine, and his hair tickling my skin. I remember the soft dances we did, and how I got the hang of it and how he told me he was actually proud of me. And then how he made fun of me for stepping on his toes once in a while. I remember laughing, and laughing, and laughing. I remember being in such a good mood. In such a happy place. I remember that night.

I remember falling for Beck.

I didn't mean to. I really didn't. I wanted to stay away, because this was all a dream. I knew something was there, but I guess I had fought it. I fought it for a long time. But staring into his hazel eyes, and being here with him in such a romantic scene, and having Beck -- even if jokingly -- flirt with me, set my heart. Yes, I was falling for him. I was falling for Beck Mitchell.

"shit..." I mumbled under my breath, quiet enough so he wouldn't hear.

But he heard something. He looked at me, his eyes narrowing in worry.

"What? Liv, is something wrong...?" his voice was gentle, soft, inviting.

Fight it, Olivia.

"Don't call me that. My partner calls me that. You call me stupid, or Olivia...." I looked away.

What was I talking about?

He stepped away.

"Your partner? I'm so sorry. I didn't--"

No. no wait.

"No. For the MPD. My partner Jensen. I am....not married," I mentally slapped my forehead.

But did he breathe a sigh of relief?

"oh. Thought I was dancing with some married woman," he chuckled.

But there was something else there. Some relief? Closure? Why?

What was Beck thinking...?

Sadness.

"I'm sorry. It's just that--"

"--no, I get it. I shouldn't call you Liv. That's too personal. The two of us are here just to make the time pass. That's the only reason our paths even crossed. After you wake up you'll forget about me and that's that. We should just keep it...." he trailed off.

That's right. I forgot about that. When I woke up, every memory of this place will be gone. Like a dream. It'll all be gone. All my time with Beck. My eyes welled with tears.

"Beck...." I looked out of the ground, my eyes getting fuzzy.

When I saw it again. His hand. It started to flicker in and out. That's it. His signal. He can wake up to. He hates it here. He's always said that. Sure, it's a beautiful place, but no one wants to spend their eternity here. And he has been lying to himself this whole time. He acts like he's stuck. Like he has no other choice but to live his life down here. But he stayed all this time. He has no ties. No people. Nobody down here direly wants him. Sure again, everyone loves Beck. Hell, I did too. But he needed to take care of himself. He needed to break free.

Two thoughts filled my mind. One, did I just say I loved Beck?

And two, he was getting out of here. Even if it killed me.

"Beck... follow me," I mumbled to him, starting to pull away from him.

He smiled. Sadly. His sad smile. I never got to see it to its full potential.

"More dancing?"

But he knew.

"No, Beck... we're done here,"

Just like that, he bit his lip and followed me. He had no idea that I knew. Or maybe he did. Either way, Beck was leaving this place. I knew it would kill me. To be without him. But Beck was leaving.

~~~~~~

I am so sorry this chapter sucked. I was originally going to go more in depth with the dance but I have been so busy with homework lately that I couldn't find the time to brainstorm ideas. I wanted to get this next part out because it's been a while. Thanks for bearing with me.