ii. the night of the comet

*like always nothing has been edited *

"Originally discovered nearly 5 centuries ago, it hasn't been over Mystic Falls in over 145 years. Now the comet will be its brightest right after dusk during tomorrow's celebration. Are we bothering you, Mr. Salvatore? Ms. Gilbert?" Mr. Tanner, our History teacher, asked.

I let out a loud laugh causing everyone to look back at me, and right before Mr. Tanner could say anything else the bell rang. Everyone stood up from their seats, and made their way out of the classroom. As I passed Stefan, I patted his shoulder and shook my head at him.

✖✖✖

"Hey!" Stefan looked over at me and smiled. He was sitting on a picnic table with a book in hand. I sat down next to him and looked down at the book in his hand. To Kill A Mockingbird. "You know that book's not even about a mockingbird," I stated.

Stefan laughed and shook his head, "is that so?" He asked. I giggled and nodded my head. Out of nowhere his face turned serious, and he put his index finger to his lips telling me to be quiet. He then pointed it to his ear, signaling me to listen to a conversation.

I listened into a couple conversations until I heard Elena's voice. "Did she say what kind of animal it was that attacked her?" Elena questioned the boy, Matt, who she was talking to.

"She said it was a vampire." I stiffened and looked over at Stefan who also stiffened up.

Elena lightly laughed, "what?"

"Yeah, she wakes up last night and mutters 'vampire' and then passed out." I ran a hand through my hair and started thinking of ways I could kill Damon. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't hear the rest of their conversation, up until Matt asked Elena what was going on with her and Stefan.

"Matt, the last thing that I want to do is hurt you." Elena explained.

"You know, I'm- I'm actually gonna go back to the hospital. I want to be there when Vickie wakes up, get the real story about last night." Matt told her. My heart almost broke at how hurt he sounded. I brought my hand up to my chest and looked to my right, but Stefan was gone. I looked around me but couldn't find him. Elena and I made eye contact and I just stared at her for a while before standing up and making my way to the house.

✖✖✖

"Zach? Stefan? Damon?" I yelled as I walked around the house. Groaning I walked into the living room and found Damon pouring himself a drink.

Damon looked up and smirked once he saw it was me. "Hello there my little sunflower," he teased. I knew he was messing with me, but it didn't change the way it made me feel. He took another glass and poured some bourbon in it before making his way over to me and handing me the drink.

I quietly thanked him and took a sip. Damon took a sip of his drink and made a sound of approval causing me to roll my eyes. He took a seat on the couch and I just stood in my spot, admiring him. His hair was longer than it used to be, and his eyes looked a lot colder. He was beautiful, a true work of art. I smiled and went to go sit by him. I was about to make friendly conversation with him, until I remembered what I had came here for. I set my glass down on a table on the side of the couch and shoved him. He spilled some of his bourbon on himself and looked up at me like I was crazy. "You need to fix the mess you created," I spit.

Damon looked confused, until realization set in. Then the bastard had a smug look on his beautiful face. "I," he pointed at himself. "Shall do no such thing, my dear Jimmy." He smiled up at me and stood up to pour more bourbon in his cup. I followed behind him, and I was about to speak he held his finger up. Damon poured some of the alcohol into his cup, then looked over at me. "This is Stefan's problem now." He smiled and walked away.