Chapter 16

Bill stood on the platform, his emotions going into overdrive. Breathing fast, his outward breaths spluttered, the strained constriction of his chest making heaving movements as he laboured, trying to come to terms with the situation. He had barely hoped to see Selena again, let alone Marie. She had not really died, the creatures had taken her. Why had they done this? Bill tried to make sense of it, but couldn't.

The large creature walked closer to Bill, leaning its head down with the two bright pearl eyes glowing strongly. Veronica was also shocked by the developments. She considered making a dash to rupture the sacs, hoping it would make Marie and Selena awaken. Possibly they could make a run for it? It seemed impossible though, as she noticed the sacs were surrounded by dozens of lighted jelly sphere creatures. A long slender red tentacle made its way closer to her ankles.

Bill took a step closer to the alien creature as it approached. He had to stand firm, but his legs were shaking, as feelings and emotions coursed through him. Sheer joy at knowing Marie was still alive, preserved, in a terrible alien world, but alive. Exhilaration swept inside him, seeing Selena, his dear daughter, captive, but safe. Fear and anxiety battled with any positive feelings that Bill had, as they remained captured and surrounded by a hideous alien horde.

The creature leaned in closely, a vile stench emitting from its mouth as the thick saliva dripped slowly. The alien was looking, waiting. Many years of dealing with the humans had made the alien sea creature more than familiar with their behaviours and reactions. Like many civilisations, there was always a mixture of good and bad beings amongst them. It amused this alien that humans themselves had so many variations of characters throughout their history; good, bad, noble, evil, and odd. Besides the practical side of his actions, even as had been commanded him, the alien viewed his delivery as somewhere between odd and evil.

Bill could make no sense of it, even as he could make no sense of Marie disappearing in the Japanese waters just years ago. No sense. No sense at all.

"Choose what? Give them both to me!" Bill made an effort to sound strong, but a distinct quaver rattled in his voice. He couldn't afford to sound too threatening, one false step and he might lose them both to the oceanic enemy.

The alien creature gave him a look as if he was a child with no understanding, but inside he knew that Bill understood. Good, he thought, keep the conversation going. That was his superior's orders anyway. The creature decided to speak slower than usual to exemplify his stupidity. "Chooossse...between...the...girlll....or...the...womannn."

Bill was sure he saw a smile on the creature's slimy face. Anger started to rise within Bill. As soon as his anger rose, the aliens seemed to sense it, the nearby isopods pointed their sharp blue antennae spears towards the sacs. How could they expect him to do this? Why would they be trying? Bill didn't want to see either of them harmed. Surely they didn't need them? They had no reason to hurt them. Bill looked again at the alien creatures wicked smile, his face almost daring Bill to give him a reason to execute the captives. Bill's knees finally gave way as his body dropped to the platform. Two large involuntary gasps exhaled from Bill's mouth before he spoke. "Whyyy? Why do I have to choose? Please, please let them go. They are no threat to you...any of your... I love them." The alien stared blankly as Bill continued. "Love, do you understand? They are my family. They are no threat to you. We...we'll stay here on the island, just...just please let them go!"

The alien sea creature's stare continued as more white mist exuded between its fangs. Bill could feel the panic setting in. It was a choice he could not make. A mixture of frustration and sadness poured out as he extended his impassioned plea. "Pleaeaeassse, don't do this, you can't make me decide. Just... just let them go?" Bill cupped his hands together in a begging pose. "Just let them go...surely...even if we can spend a few moments with each other together." Bill stretched his arm towards Selena, "The child needs to see her Mother." Bill's lip involuntarily quivered as tears flowed from his eyes.