Chapter 18

The low lying areas of Chicago and Milwaukee were already covered with water from Lake Michigan, trapping the inhabitants in islands of high rise buildings. From the 20th floor, Tom had seen enough horrors to last him a life time. Now he was concerned about his own survival. All the business deals and empire building he had worked on during his life now seemed to be irrelevant. 'Safe as houses', that was the expression. Now nothing seemed safe. The stock market was crashing beyond recoverable limits, money was worthless, and all that was left remaining was the person you were within. 

The water covered streets below resembled a distorted scene from Tron, with flashing green and blue lights zipping in between deserted submerged vehicles, darting through the aquatic streets in systematic motion. Lured by the tasty scent of humans, the bioluminescent creatures dashed around corners, in and out of doorways, looking for ones that had slipped or fallen; people who had been unable to escape the thrashing waves or violent quakes. So far, most of the high rise buildings still stood. Being inland had helped lessen the intensity of the quakes.

Tom looked on, observing a large creature rising from Lake Michigan, Its large transparent dome cap enclosed a spectacular array of sulphur coloured sections that had the texture of exposed brains. From beneath the large transparent body section emitted a medley of writhing tendrils, delicately arrayed with dazzling luminous colours. The tendrils rose and weaved hypnotically as the creature hovered towards the city. Hydro Medusa!

The hypnotic tendrils wrapped around various buildings. As the strange fluid pumped through its sulphur brains and propelled through the tendrils, it produced an effect upon the buildings of glass and steel, making them brittle. Such a combination, a cocktail of some alien liquor, shaken, not stirred, and pulled by the addiction of hungry sea creatures. The tendrils of Hydro Medusa pulled tight against the buildings weak points. Assisted with the consistent vibrations of the induced quakes, the buildings collapsed heavily into the watery trap. Tom measured his options and decided to leap out as the building toppled, hoping to land anywhere but the water. At 20 stories high, it was never going to end well.

Veronica handed Bill a hot cup of fresh coffee as he sat with his family on the warship. Warm grey blankets wrapped around their bodies, but the true warmth came from their embrace as they tried to come to terms with the events that had transpired. Bill was grateful for the coffee, but it was insignificant as he hugged the two loves of his life. Marie and Selena were tired and looked drained from the alien abduction. Just seeing each other's faces was enough to bring comfort to their hearts. Selena moved her pale hand over to her Mother's, "I love you," said more than enough.

A firm hand on Bill's shoulder eventually pulled him away from his focus. "How's the leg Bill?" asked Mark. 

Bill rose up and turned around to shake Mark's hand, grateful that this man had stuck up for him and helped his family. As he shook Mark's hand he was reminded of the pain in his shoulder too. "It's sore, but more comfortable after being treated by the medical team here."

"That's good," Mark continued with a sense of urgency in his voice. "Listen, Bill, we're not out of trouble yet. I'm sure the girls will be in good care." Mark looked over to the girls, and then back to Bill, trying to indicate it was best that they talk out of earshot of his family.

Bill was reluctant to leave them, but nodded in acknowledgement. " I have to go with the Captain for a while, but I'll be right back." A sudden look of distress and panic came over Marie and Selena; they felt safe with no-one else. Nevertheless, their tiredness prevented them from objecting too much. Marie nodded slightly and Selena just stared at her Father while she cuddled up to her Mom.