Chapter Two: What Happened

Chapter Two:

Debree fell from the building. I ran across the street, avoiding to get hit my parts of the building. I looked up, the missile hit my floor. My office was there, what if I hadn't left, what if, what if ,so many what ifs, but thats over now. I almost fell, so many people running. Then another flash of light and smoke strike another building down the block, then another, and another. Buildings were on fire, you could feel the heat a block down. I watched an entire building crash onto the street. smoke filled the streets. It was suffocating. I ran in a building that hadn't gotten hit. When I walked in, I saw people covered in dust and coughing, some people laying on the floor. What had happened? I know it was an attack, but from who, and why. Why was a stupid question to ask. I knew why, I knew exactly why.

As I've said before, the world is not going to well. Almost every continent is at war. The US has stayed out of it and is prospering. Jealousy is an awful thing. Some places hate that we are doing well, that we are better, they hate the way we live out our lives. But there are so many places and people that hate us, who knows which one did this.

I sit on the floor. I can hardly breathe, the smell of thick smoke fills the air. "I have an idea!", someone yells from across the room, "Let's go to the roof to get air, we are all going to suffocate down here!". Everyone stands and walks toward the stairwell. Everyone walks almost robotically up the stairs. No one is talking, crying, or even acting like anything happened.

We reach the roof and I'm about to walk onto it, then a light slams onto the roof. Everything is slow motion. I start falling backwards, pieces of rock hit my face. I feel the heat of the explosion as I fall. I see my friends having fun at a party. My family is there too. Everyone is happy. "Hey!", I hear it, it's very faint. "Hey!", it's louder, then I wake up, "Hey!", a man yells to me. He is wearing business clothes, but hey are destroyed and ragged, he has on black glasses. They have a large crack that goes through the center of one lens. I finally respond, "What happened?", I ask, " A missile struck the roof, they must have seen us walk into it!", there is so much noise you have to tell to be heard. "Where am I?", I ask, "Still in the building, me and you are the only people who survived!", he says. He pulls me up and I get to see the destruction. I was laying in a large pile of rubble. He had pulled me out. We are still on a floor above ground, maybe the fifth floor, but there is till an outline of the walls of the this floor. We walk down the pile, and walk toward the stairwell, the stairs luckily are still usable. The stairs going up are gone, destroyed and you can see the sky. It's orange and has black clouds. It looks dead and awful.

We walk down the stairs, my body hurts. I have cuts on my arms and face. I probably have some broken bones, but I have to keep moving. "What's your name?", I ask the man."Daniel.", "Yours?", he asks. "Nathan.", I say. We are almost to the bottom. The stairs are covered with rubble. "This attack, its............awful.", Daniel says. "I know, I wonder where everyone's at, I was supposed to go to a party tonight.", I say with a sigh. "Well I think your going to be late.", he says laughing. We reach the bottom of the stairs and walk into the lobby of the building. We walk out and finally see what happened.