Chapter Thirty Six

They walk into a thick bush and peep through, seeing an isolated mansion. "Where are we?" Whispers Edgar.

"The only place where no one would think to look. Come one." She whispers back.

She takes her bow and arrow ready to fire, approximating five minutes before the whole place was on full alert.

"Get ready to draw your sword." She says.

"What? Wait, we have to think about..." he starts to say but too late as Caramel had already run down the hill.

Sighing, he draws his sword and follows behind, fighting off the first soldier as Caramel shot down the rest guarding the gates.

Stepping over the body and removing her arrow from the soldier's chest, she says, "Well my prince, welcome to the fortress." She says, returning her arrows in her quilt.

***
She hangs her head and starts humming one of the tunes she had heard her aunt sing when she was little. Sighing deeply, she starts to think about how her life had been ever since she had joined the society.

"Did you hear that?" Asks Caramel.

"Hear what?" Asks Edgar.

"The tune! That used to be Andrea's favourite song! There is only one person who knows that tune!" She whispers out loud.

"And what.do we.have. here?" Says Ariana biting into an apple. "The perfect leverage!" She says clapping hysterically ang giggling. "Take them away!" She adds.

The guards grab them and tie them up then pull them away to the cells where Mia is being held.

"I'm sorry mama. Sorry aunt Caramel. I have failed." Says Mia.

"You haven't failed anyone my sweet." Whispers Caramel.

Mia looks up to the side to see who is speaking to her. Shaking her head and blinking twice, she thinks that her eyes are playing tricks on her. "No." She says.

"Yes dear. Would you mind telling us how you got here?" Asks Edgar.

"You are supposed to be at home. And you, you are supposed to be picking flowers!" Says Mia fighting back a tear.

"Right now we need a plan. And you need all the strength to think it." Says Caramel leaning back into the cell.

***
"He did what?!" Says May furious as she ducks to avoid a swipe from the soldier's blade.

"It's too late to do anything now," says William drawing his sword from a soldier's chest. "If we knew that our own soldiers would turn against us, we would have had a plan." He adds.

He pushes her out of the room to go find Dominic. He watches her leave as another soldier charges towards him letting out a battle cry. He readies himself to take on his attacker.

***
"Dominic? Dominic!" She calls out as others rush past her. She goes into his personal tent to look for him. When she turns around, she meets the hilt of a sword to her face. She blacks out.

"I'm sorry queen May. I have my orders." He says, putting her over his shoulder.

William draws his sword from the last soldier just in time to see another riding off with his wife. He curses silently under his breath as he rides off in the opposite direction with the rest of his people. For him, this war meant a massacre. If it meant getting his family back, so be it.