FINN

LEAVES RUSTLED ON A plant that made it's home in a crack in a street. A foot crunched onto the plant. It was squished like it was nothing.

Finn and his best friend, Danny walked down an abandoned street. The pavement was cracked open from the weather. He noticed the plants between the cracks in streets.

Buildings were covered with vines and shrubbery. He tried to envision the buildings around the street before the plants took control of the land. He remembered seeing pictures on a screen in his kitchen, of a place where buildings of glass reached up to the sky. He wondered what happened to those places.

A leaf drifted down the street. The rustling sound of tree leaves filled the streets. Finn kept his eyes down the street. He kept one of his hands on the strap of his backpack. He was worried that Danny and he were not alone.

Danny kept on walking down the street. She walked over the root of a tree that planted itself on the rooftop of one of the buildings. She kept on walking. Finn knew that Danny would have preferred staying home. He knew she was not the adventuring type.

"So," Finn asked Danny, "What do you think that they were like?"

Danny kept her head looking straight ahead. The sound of the window tearing through the empty structures rippled down the street. Finn was amazed by how close everything sound. He heard a bird chirp in the distance.

Finn saw a broken down vehicle on the street. He admired the way the plants wrapped around the vehicle. He heard the rumors of vehicles that used to fly in the sky. He wondered if they would be able to see one of those.

Danny reminded Finn, "They blew each other up."

Finn saw a building with a tree on the rooftop. He could not imagine why anyone would want to destroy such a masterpiece. He knew what Danny said was true. He wished that it was not.

"But," he told Danny, "They built these places."

He tried to remind her, "You saw the goddess back home, turned on one of the ancient devices."

Danny sighed, "That was weeks ago."

Finn told her, "It was so beautiful."

He could not stop thinking about what they saw on the device. A vibrant sky filled with clouds. He saw the city from above. He wanted to see it for himself. He wanted to find a flying car, that could take him up to the clouds.

Finn heard a saying whisper in his ears. His father used to say it all the time to him. Only things with wings will fly. He wondered how a wingless car, could possibly fly. He never thought of it before.

Plants had taken many of the vehicles on the streets. Finn looked over his shoulder at Danny. She stood in the middle of the street.

Rocks crumbled down from the remains of the buildings around the street. Finn heard the rocks falling down next to him. He glanced over his shoulder to see a collapsed wall. He never saw anything like it.

The sound of the remains of the building fell down to the street. The sound echoed between the remains of the skyscrapers. He felt like someone was watching him.

A cold chill slithered down his spine. Finn knew that he was not allowed in the ruins, he had Danny watching his back. She was looking around the street. Finn guessed that she heard something in the distance.

Finn saw the look on her face. He guessed that she was bored by the expression on his face. He looked down the street to see a concrete city in the distance. The plants stopped in that part of the city. He wondered if the goddess was not the only one left. He wanted to see her just as much as he wanted to fly.