One East Lake: Emma

The girl's locker room at East Lake high school had smelled like burnt hair and determination for as long as anyone could remember. The rivalry between East Lake high and West Lake high had been going on ever since the schools themselves were built. Even their names were a constant battle of who could be the best Lake high school, and the competition was always fierce and violent.

Part of the rivalry could be explained by the town's social structure. The east side was nicer with big houses and fancy cars, and all the kids went to college. The west side, however, was what was called the wrong side of the tracks. It was a poorer neighborhood, and their resentment toward East high was understandable. It you didn't have a scholarship, you weren't going to college. That was a huge reason why athletics were such a competition between the two schools.

The girl's senior volleyball team was the greatest group East Lake had had in over thirty years, largely because of its captain, Emmaline Stone. Standing at 5'7 with thick blonde hair falling half way down her back and a killer serve, the team boasted an undefeated season so far against surrounding high schools, but most importantly against West Lake.

However, being a cheerleader as well as the sister of the star player, Emmaline knew more than anyone how upset the football team was, taking loss after loss in their games. Out of all the times they'd played West Lake so far, her brother and his team had only won once.

Emma had heard the rumors of a skilled and precise powerhouse on West Lake's team; had heard her brother complain about the new captain who seemed unbeatable. And in a small town with two rivals, everyone in Lakeshore was tuned in to the East Lake football team's most recent and crushing defeat against West Lake... Again.

Emma sat on the steps of East Lake high's concrete steps in front of the school, talking with Ella, her best friend since birth, and a gaggle of volleyball groupies who followed Emma everywhere. They hung on to Emma's every word, and while she usually engaged in friendly conversation and banter, she didn't feel like having the spotlight blinding her.

"....don't you think so too, Emma?" A girl Emma thought was named Jules called her out of her thoughts. "Sorry, what did you say?" Emma asked lightly.

"I said, don't you think someone should put those West Lakers in their place? We should have a tournament of some sort to show them who's really the boss around here. Nothing official, like with authority of course," Jules rolled her bright green eyes with scorn, "Just a little midnight scuffle of sorts."

Emma was all for a fair game of ball, but the idea of something without rules, where someone could get hurt-- it didn't appeal to her. "Maybe," Emma finally said, her ocean eyes clouded.

"Yeah, maybe." A few other girls chimed in. Emma had to fight the urge to laugh. Only a minute ago these girls were excited at the idea of a confrontation, but after Emma had voiced her thoughts they looked unsure. Their minds changed like the weather in this coastal town. One second sunny and warm, the next drenching everyone in an icy storm.

She met Ella's eyes over the bickering girls and smiled genuinely. The others may go from hot to cold, but never Ella. She was a constant.

Emma hopped up from her spot on the cool cement and waved a quick goodbye, knowing that Ella would follow. She had no interest in these girls. If it weren't for Emma, then Ella would never even hang around the volleyball/cheerleader crowd. While some of the team was down to earth and friendly, the majority were catty and wanted nothing except to gossip about boys, the rivalry, and who gained the most weight over the summer.

So not Ella's scene. It wasn't Emma's either, but as the team leader she needed to promote togetherness. And as Liam's sister, she was always sought after. Sometimes she just wanted to get away from it all.

Stealing a glance at Ella as they walked through East Lake's infamous double doors, Emma sighed. "So?" They stopped, leaning against a row of beige lockers. "So, what?" Emma responded to the question with a question.

"You know." Ella looked at her wisely. She knew Emma too well. "I just-- this whole rivalry thing is just so out of control. Only last week, a West Lake sophomore was hazed... By our boys. And not only that, they sent him back with one helluva black eye. Probably my brother." Emma spat. "You know he packs a punch."

Ella nodded. "And he's always itching for a fight." Emma frowned. "That's true. And in retaliation for the bruised sophomore, some West Lake football players spray painted the East Elephant out back."
Ella groaned. "Great. So then our boys will go do something to the West Lakers for that, then so on and so forth. It's never ending."

"I know it!" Emma said, frustrated. "That's why the idea of a showdown with no faculty looming is such a tempting idea. But I'm not sure having two sets of hormonal, defensive football teams in a remote area to get a champion is such a great thought. After what happened last time..." Emma saw the pained look on her friends face and trailed off. "I understand that it still hurts, but--"

Brrrrrring! "There's the bell, I gotta go. Text you later?" The charged moment was lost. "Sure. Bye, Ella!" And they were off.
On her way to Advanced English, Emma ran into her brother, Liam.

"Hey! Liam!" She called, trying to be heard across the noisy corridor. Looking around, he spotted her and effortlessly weaved through the crowd of people to get to her. "Emma. What is it?" She craned her neck up to see him, cursing his 6'1 frame. Too tall for her.

She raised her voice to be heard. "I've got cheer leading practice this afternoon and I know you've got football. Wait for me, I'll need a ride home."
Liam's head bobbed once, and then he had disappeared back into the sea of faces heading to class.

Emma was only seventeen, but she had skipped eighth grade and, as a result, was in the same year as Liam, who had just turned eighteen and was Emma's unspoken designated chauffeur. When he remembers I exist, that is. Lately Liam had been so absent minded that he had left her multiple times. Emma assumed he was so busy training that it had just escaped his mind. Emma felt sorry for him-- the consecutive losses against West Lake were really wearing on him.

As long as he remembers today, Emma thought. Cheer practice will be double the normal length.

Hi guys! Thanks for reading! I know this chapter was a bit slow, but things really pick up next chapter. Emma has a run in with a someone... Any guesses?
1/28/17

1182 words