twelve

Although she was putting on a brave face, Madison was dying inside. The last few months had left her physically and mentally exhausted, but she refused to let it show.

But sacrificing Davina had been the last straw. The girl had been family since the beginning, and now Madison had lost another person she loved.

"Madison, love, you have to eat," Klaus coaxed gently. "Please, if not for you then for our daughter."

The Supreme had gotten up in the middle of the night and made her way to her fallen sister's room. One of Davina's dresses was clutched tightly in her hands, Madison inhaling the scent, desperate to hold on to the memory of her.

After receiving no reaction from the witch, Klaus stood up with a sigh, leaving her to mourn.

-

Diego, Elijah, and Klaus made their way back into the compound, sharing a look of confusion when they heard loud crashes coming from upstairs.

An angry Madison Montgomery dragged a suitcase down the stairs, throwing it on top of a pile of Davina's belongings. She retreated back into the dead witch's room, coming back with an armful of keepsakes.

"Madison, what on earth are you doing?" Elijah stepped forward, ducking when a photo frame was hurled down the stairs at the pile.

The girl didn't answer straight away, instead she held up a photo album.

"This was a birthday present I gave her when she turned 12." Madison threw it into the pile. "Her clothes. She's not gonna need those where she's going."

The witch grabbed a can of gasoline and tipped it onto the pile.

"Madison, you don't want to do this," Klaus tried to reason with her. "I understand you're angry, but this is not the solution."

"Angry doesn't begin to describe what I feel!" She threw the now empty can onto the pile as well. "She was supposed to come back but instead she's suffering in hell!"

The Supreme didn't have to look at the pile for it to ignite. And then the tears began to flow freely down her face.

"You're gonna be okay," Klaus pulled the distraught witch into his chest.

"This is my fault. All of it," Madison cried into him. "I wish I stayed dead."

-

"Rebekah is not answering her calls," Elijah sighed as he put his phone back in his pocket.

"You worried about whoever killed those daywalkers still being out there?" Hayley raised an eyebrow, looking over at her sister who was watching the fire slowly burn out.

"Frankly, I'm worried that she had something to do with this. She's very displeased with Niklaus, perhaps even conspiring with others." Elijah spotted a vampire drinking alone and joined him. "Thierry, is it?"

"That's right," he nodded.

"My sister is rather fond of you. Strange, she's not typically drawn to unremarkable men. Would you care to explain your sudden magnetism?"

"I don't know what you're – "

Elijah cut him off by grabbing by the throats and holding him against a wall, "You can either tell me what you know, or I can distribute tiny pieces of you throughout the Quarter.

"She asked me to keep an eye out on witch stuff," Thierry sighed. "I found something, and when I showed her, we were jumped by some guy. He desiccated her with his touch."

"Like a coward, you left her," the Original growled angrily.

"What was I supposed to do, fight some warlock that took out an Original?"